Criminal Justice Requirements
You can earn your bachelor’s degree in criminal justice at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville by successfully completing a minimum of 120 credits. All courses listed are three credits unless otherwise stated.
Requirements listed below are from the current year catalog. Your requirements are subject to the catalog that was in effect at the time you were admitted.
Your academic advisor can help guide you in determining which courses from UW-Platteville and other institutions will meet your general education requirements.
General education requirements (45-49+ credits) can be completed by:
- Taking approved on-campus or online courses from UW-Platteville or other institutions
- Transferring approved credits from other institutions
Please view general education requirements to find a listing of the general education requirements for a bachelor degree.
Major Requirements (36+ credits)
Criminal justice majors will need to earn a C- or better in all courses.
Required Courses (15 credits)
Courses marked with an asterisk* are not currently available through UW-Platteville's Office of Professional Program Support. View all undergraduate course offerings.
Theory Requirement (3 credits)
Select one of the following courses:
CRIMLJUS 3430: Criminology
SOCIOLGY 3330: Crime and Delinquency*
Research Methods Requirement (3 credits)
Select one of the following options to complete the research methods requirement for the major:
CRIMLJUS 3900: Research Methods in Criminal Justice
SOCIOLGY 3440: Social Research*
Electives (15 credits)
CRIMLJUS 2630: Private Security Operations
CRIMLJUS 2850: White Collar Crime
CRIMLJUS 2930: Foundations of Interviewing
CRIMLJUS 3040: Police Ethics
CRIMLJUS 3130: Criminal Investigation
CRIMLJUS 3330: Police Administration
CRIMLJUS 3630: Juvenile Justice
CRIMLJUS 3730: Women, Gender, and Justice
CRIMLJUS 4130: Police-Community Relations
CRIMLJUS 4230: Community-Based Corrections
CRIMLJUS 4330: Criminal Procedures and Evidence
CRIMLJUS 4500: Directed Individual Studies
CRIMLJUS 4630: Current Topics in Criminal Justice
CRIMLJUS 4880: Internship in Criminal Justice
FORENSIC 1320: Introduction to Crime Scene Investigation
Please view the minors to find a listing of the requirements for each minor available.
- Earn a minimum of 120 credits.
- A minimum of 42 of the 120 credits must be upper division credits (3,000 and 4,000 level).
- A minimum of 32 of the 120 credits must be taken under the direction of UW-Platteville faculty.
- Of the last 32 credits, 23 of them must be taken under the direction of the UW-Platteville faculty.
- A minimum of 18 credits with the CRIMLJUS prefix must be taken under the direction of UW-Platteville faculty.
- No more than 72 credits may be transferred from any two-year lower-division college.
- A grade of “C-“or better must be earned in courses taken with other institutions in order for courses to be considered for transfer.
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 overall, as well as in any minor, must be maintained for work from UW-Platteville.
- A grade of C- or better must be earned in each criminal justice core courses before moving onto the next criminal justice course.
Upon admission, students enrolled in programs through the Office of Professional Program Support have one year to complete at least one course successfully. If a student does not successfully complete a course within a year, the student will be discontinued from their program. After successful completion of one course, a student has two years to successfully complete another course in order to maintain academic progress. Students who do not maintain academic progress will be discontinued from their program.
*Requirements may be subject to change without notice.