Strategic Management Requirements
You can earn your master’s degree in strategic management at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville by successfully completing 30 graduate credits, with 24 required core and 6 elective credits chosen from one of three emphasis areas. Many courses are offered in an accelerated 8-week format.
Required Core Courses (24 credits)
BUSADMIN 7000: Introduction to Strategic Management
BUSADMIN 5530: Organizational Behavior
OCL 7330: Organizational Change Leadership
OCL 7500: Organizational Development
ACCTING 7000: Managerial Accounting
ISCM 7100: International Supply Chain Management
BUSADMIN 6630: Marketing Management
BUSADMIN 7840: Capstone in Strategic Management
Areas of Emphasis
Choose two courses from one of these areas of emphasis.
Strategic Human Resources
To earn your master’s degree, you must meet the following requirements:
- All students must complete a minimum of 30 graduate credits.
- At least 21 credits must be earned in graduate courses that are not cross-listed with undergraduate courses, and of those 21 credits, at least 15 credits must be earned at the 7000-level). These credits must be included in the student’s program planning form.
- Courses in the 5000-6990 levels are open to graduate students for graduate credit, provided they have not previously taken the courses at the undergraduate level.
- Students must have both an overall and a program GPA of at least 3.0. Graduate credits in which a grade lower than a C- has been earned will not be counted toward a degree; however, these lower grades will be reflected in the student’s grade point average. All credits attempted within a given program will be counted toward the GPA, even if credits for a particular course will not be counted toward program completion requirements.
- Note: Programs may have stricter requirements than required of the School of Graduate Studies; students should review their official program plan for information.
- Graduate students are allowed seven years from the date of admission into a master’s program to complete degree requirements.
- No more than 12 credits can be transferred into a master’s degree program.
- To be accepted for transfer, credits must be approved by more than one faculty member in the relevant program along with the dean of the School of Graduate Studies. Faculty must be 1) the program's coordinator; or 2) some mix of the student's advisor and a faculty member with expertise in the field.
- Only courses taken at a nationally or regionally accredited institution recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation in which the student received a grade of B or higher will be accepted. Transfer credits will not be officially recorded until the student has successfully completed graduate work at UW-Platteville.
Online graduate students who are inactive (non-registration) for one academic year after admission without successfully completing a course will be discontinued from their graduate program. Online graduate students who have successfully completed a course may have two years of inactivity (non-registration) before they are discontinued from their graduate program. Students may reapply for admission to the same or another graduate program. Credits earned previously at UW-Platteville may only be applied to the student’s graduate program upon approval of the coordinator of the graduate program and the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies.