Associate of Arts and Sciences Requirements
You can earn your associate degree in arts and sciences at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville by successfully completing a minimum of 60 credits. All courses listed are three credits unless otherwise stated.
Requirements listed below are from the current catalog year. Your requirements are subject to the catalog that was in effect at the time you were admitted to UW-Platteville.
Your academic advisor can help guide you in determining which courses from UW-Platteville and other institutions will meet your general education requirements. You can:
- Take distance courses through UW-Platteville
- Take approved on-campus or online courses from UW-Platteville or other institutions
- Transfer approved credits from other institutions
Required Core Courses (14 credits)
First Year Experience: UWPSTUDY 1010: Introduction to College Life (1 credit)
Communication (6 credits)
Mathematics: (3 credits)
Speech: (2 credits)
Physical Education & Wellness (2 credits)
Fine Arts and Humanities Courses (9 credits)
Fine Arts: MUSIC 1590: Music Appreciation
Humanities: WOMGENDR 1130: Introduction to Women and Gender Studies (also satisfies gender requirement)
History: HISTORY 2020: World Civilization II or HISTORY 2430: History of the US Since 1877
Social Science (6 credits)
Choose two of the following courses to complete your social science requirements:
Second Course (3 credits)
This course can be from humanities, natural science, social science, math, history, fine arts, in the same discipline, courses must be sequential. (First course lays the foundation for the second course.)
Natural Science (4 credits)
Your natural science course must be a lab course.
BIOLOGY 2340: Essentials of Anatomy and Physiology (4 credits)
GEOGRPHY 1040: Planet Earth (4 credits)
International Education/Ethnic/Gender Studies (6-9 credits)
International Education: BUSADMIN 1300: Global Business OR HISTORY 2020 World Civilization II
Ethnic: ETHNSTDY 1030: Race, Gender, and Class (satisfies the ethnic and gender requirement)
Gender: WOMGENDR 1130: Introduction to Women and Gender Studies (satisfies the humanities requirement)
Choose from a variety of courses to complete your degree requirements. Your exact number of required credits will depend on double-counted courses.
- Earn a minimum of 60 credits.
- A minimum of 21 of the 60 credits must be taken under the direction of UW-Platteville faculty.
- Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0.
- Enroll in one UW-Platteville course within the first year of being admitted into the program. Failure to do so will result in the discontinuation from the program.
- Maintain degree progress by completing at least one UW-Platteville course every two years in order to remain under these catalog requirements. Failure to do so will result in discontinuation from the program.
*Requirements may be subject to change without notice.