Over the 2019-2020 academic year UW-Platteville is embarking upon an update to our current Campus Sustainability Plan (written in 2013, updated in 2015) with the goal of setting a roadmap for building and operating a healthier, more sustainable campus community over the next five years. Our new plan will align with the 2024 UW-Platteville Strategic Plan and be based upon the AASHE STARS sustainability framework. Below you can find information about the process we are following and get involved.
A successful roadmap is one that reflects our campus community's interests. We are engaging our community through this process and hope you will consider participating.
- Campus Sustainability Survey - UW-Platteville surveys its community every other year to learn about sustainability interests and literacy.
- Environmental Sustainability Committee (ESC) - A formal University committee, the ESC meets monthly and is driving this plan.
- Sub-committees - Expert area committees are meeting to review current trends and recommend future goals between November 2019 - January 2020.
Our plan draws upon existing knowledge and decisions, including metrics comparing our campus to peers, internal data, and current and past campus decisions. Learn more below.
- Campus Strategic Plan- UW-Platteville announced a new five-year strategic plan in the fall of 2019. "Creating a culture of sustainability" is one of the top ten objectives in that plan. Our sustainability plan update will help campus achieve this larger sustainability goal.
- Existing Sustainability Plan - Campus' current sustainability plan was written in 2013 and updated in 2015. Over 60 campus stakeholders were engaged in this planning process.
- AASHE STARS - Campus reports on a series of sustainability metrics against national standards for sustainability in higher education. Our latest report was submitted in March 2018; we ranked silver at that time. We are gearing up to submit a new report in March 2020.
- Sustainability Dashboard - Campus collects and reports on data related to sustainability on a monthly basis. Visit this dashboard here to take a look at how we are doing.
- Completed: Previous Sustainability Plan (2013)
- Completed: AASHE STARS report that compare us to peers (2016 & 2018)
- Completed: Bi-annual Campus Sustainability Survey (spring 2019)
- November 2019 - January 2020: Sub-committee meetings
- January - February 2020: Environmental Sustainability Committee reviews and finalizes plan
- February 2020: Campus Vetting Process (public meetings, governance groups)