Everyone in the University of Wisconsin-Platteville community is encouraged to help make UW-Platteville reach its goals of sustainability and awareness of our impacts on the planet.
We are excited to announce the third annual UW-Platteville Green Fund competition. Formerly referred to as the Campus Sustainability Fund, this competitive grant program will distribute $15,000 to UW-Platteville students, faculty, and staff to support projects that enhance the sustainability of campus.
Projects will be evaluated on how well they meet the UW-Platteville sustainability mission to "meet the needs of the present while enhancing the ability of future generations to meet their own needs."
Sustainability means leaving our home in better shape than we found it. In this guide we suggest simple ways to practice sustainability. The suggestions help you consider the environmental, social, and economic implications of our most basic daily actions. Review the Green Guide.
Groups and Organizations
- Environmental Sustainability Committee: A University committee made of faculty, staff, and students that helps direct campus policy and procedure related to sustainability.
- Green Campus Project: UW-Platteville's student organization dedicated to "greening up” campus since 2009.
- Wisconsin Association for Energy Engineers: Dedicated to renewable energy and energy efficiency. (WAEE)
- Students for Peace and Justice
- Platteville Sunflower Oil CompanyA student-run business that grows, processes, and sells organic sunflower oil for cooking.
- Platteville Society for Environmental Engineers
- Cans for the Cure
- Biology Club
- Reclamation Club
- Pioneer Pantry
- Outdoor Recreation
- Outdoor Adventure Club
- Morrow Hall Sustainability Interest Community: This is a sustainability-themed residence hall on campus.
Off-Campus Community Groups
- Platteville Community Arboretum: This non-profit, community-based arboretum exists for the purposes of education, recreation, conservation, and the encouragement of cooperation within the Platteville community.
- Platteville Main Street Program Sustainability Committee: This is a community organization dedicated to promoting sustainability in downtown Platteville. They meet on the third Thursday of each month at 6 p.m., usually at Driftless Market on Main Street.
- Human Powered Trails
- City of Platteville Committee's, Commission's, and Boards
Have fun, meet new friends, and make a difference!
The UW-Platteville Sustainability Office has weekly service nights to help beautify and make campus more sustainable. Contribute your time and skills to make a difference! Our projects will vary from week to week and depending upon the weather, but they will run the gamut from outdoor work in the edible garden to collecting prairie seeds to crafting projects. There is room for all backgrounds, interests, and abilities in our sustainability efforts! All events will have a member of our Sustainability Office present. Any questions can be directed to Mary Penn at email@example.com or 608.342.7238
We meet every Thursday from 4 p.m.–5:30 p.m. in the Campus Edible Garden between Royce and McGregor Halls and from there may head elsewhere depending upon the night's plans. We do ask that you register at least four hours before each event; this will help us make sure that we have the right materials and supplies prepared and will help assure that the event makes the best possible use of your time