Upon admission to UW-Platteville, you are classified as a resident of Wisconsin for tuition purposes or a non-resident, based on the information you supplied with your application and the standards set forth in Wisconsin Statutes 36.27(2), which govern resident status for tuition purposes.

These standards are different from other standards used to determine residency for voting, paying taxes, and other purposes. Therefore, it is important that you understand the Wisconsin statute governing resident status for tuition purposes and how it may apply to you. 

Minnesota residents learn about Minnesota-Wisconsin Tuition Reciprocity

Determining Residency

In general, you must be a bona fide resident of Wisconsin and be able to demonstrate intent to establish and maintain a permanent home in Wisconsin for at least 12 continuous months prior to enrollment to be eligible to receive residency for tuition purposes.

Students who come to and remain in Wisconsin primarily for educational purposes are presumed to continue to reside outside the state. Moving to Wisconsin to attend school will not automatically qualify you to become a resident of Wisconsin for tuition purposes, even after living in Wisconsin for a year or more. In determining residency for tuition purposes, different standards are used than those which may be used for voting, and paying taxes, for example.

If you still have questions about your residency classification after thoroughly reading the standards set forth in Wisconsin Statutes 36.27(2) or feel that your classification is incorrect due to important extenuating or mitigating factors, you may contact the Residency Coordinator to discuss your residency and request an Appeal from Non-Resident Classification for University Fee Purposes.

To contact the Residency Coordinator, please call 608.342.1125 or email admit@uwplatt.edu and include “Residency Question” in the subject line of the email.

The complete packet of appeal forms must be notarized and submitted before the deadline:

  • Fall semester: appeal due August 1
  • Spring semester: appeal due December 1
  • Summer semester: appeal due May 1

It is our goal to make students residents whenever possible in accordance with the Wisconsin state law. While every student has the right to submit an appeal, a consultation with the Residency Coordinator can help you determine whether moving forward with an appeal is a prudent decision.

The Residency Coordinator will provide guidance and give a professional opinion about the likelihood of a successful appeal based on the circumstances of your situation. Having a clear understanding of the law and the appeals process could save you a good deal of time and energy. 

To process a request for Residency Determination, the following information must be completed and submitted:

Individuals who have been relocated to Wisconsin for employment purposes by their current employer or individuals who accepted their current full-time employment with a new employer before moving to Wisconsin may qualify as a resident for tuition purposes under Section (cm) of Wisconsin Statutes 36.27(2). To determine qualification under this provision, the Employment Verification Form must be submitted.

If you do not qualify as a Wisconsin resident or the university lacks sufficient information to determine that you qualify as a Wisconsin resident, you will be assessed nonresident tuition. 

Appealing a Residency Decision

If you still have questions about your residence classification after reading Wisconsin Statutes 36.27(2), or you feel that your classification is incorrect or that you have important extenuating or mitigating factors, we encourage you to discuss your nonresident status with the Director of Admission and Enrollment Services. 

Additional Programs Offered

  • Veteran's Programs: Assistance and information on benefits and local, state, and federal resources for veterans, service members, and military dependents.
  • Tuition Advantage Program: A discount on out-of-state tuition for eligible Illinois and Iowa students.
  • Minnesota-Wisconsin Reciprocity: A tuition reciprocity agreement exists between Wisconsin and Minnesota, stipulating that residents of Minnesota can attend Wisconsin institutions at the approved reciprocity tuition rate. 
  • Division of Vocational Rehabilitation: Students with disabilities may be eligible for DVR benefits. Contact the Wisconsin DVR or your local DVR office.

Frequently Asked Questions