The Yellow Ribbon Program helps students pay for higher out of state, private, or graduate school tuition not covered by the GI Bill.

Yellow Ribbon benefits at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville are limited to a certain number of students each year. You can discuss your eligibility, and availability of funding, with our School Certifying Official (SCO) at or 608.342.7351 or in the Wright Center.

Am I Eligible? 

To receive benefits under the Yellow Ribbon Program you must be eligible for the maximum benefit rate under the Post-9/11 GI Bill. This includes:

  • Those who served 36 months (may be aggregate) on active duty
  • Purple Heart recipients with an honorable discharge and any amount of service
  • Those discharged after 60 days with a service-connected disability and served 30 continuous days after Sept. 10, 2001
  • Children using transferred benefits
  • Children using transferred benefits if their servicemember transferor is at the 100 percent level (36 months served)
  • Effective August 1, 2022, servicemembers at the 100% level and transferee spouses whose transferor is at the 100% percent level

Active duty servicemembers and their spouses are not eligible.

How to Apply

Your School Certifying Official at UW-Platteville will request that you complete and return a Yellow Ribbon Program Application. You will need to provide the same information that you would for the Post 9/11 GI Bill:

  • Form DD-214
  • Certificate of Eligibility
  • Veteran Services Information Sheet (VSIS)

If you are a dependent utilizing benefits, you will need to submit the following additional information to your SCO:

  • Child of a Veteran: A copy of your birth certificate
  • Spouse of a Veteran: A copy of your marriage certificate Not all benefits transfer to dependents. You may visit the VA website, speak to a CVSO (County Veteran’s Service Officer), or your SCO for more information regarding what benefits are transferrable.