Accessing your veterans’ benefits can be a challenging experience, but we at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville are here to help. The Wright Center staff is your resource for all information related to benefits, transitions, and veteran life on the UW-Platteville campus.

There are benefits administered by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, and those specifically for Wisconsin veterans and families. To determine your eligibility or which program is right for you, please contact your county veterans service officer or a veteran’s benefits counselor. You can review the full list of benefits at Federal Veteran Education Benefits.

Our School Certifying Official (SCO) can be reached at 608.342.7576 or in the Wright Center.

Where to Start

  1. Get a summary of the specific benefits that you are eligible for as a result of your service from your County Veterans Service Officer.
  2. After you register for classes, please complete a Veteran Services Information Sheet (VSIS) to let the School Certifying Official know that you wish to use veterans benefits to pay for school, and to request certification of those benefits. Once this form is completed, please allow one day for processing, and then contact the School Certifying Official to discuss what documentation she will need to certify your benefits.
  3. Provide the requested documentation. If you forget to send copies of the documentation to the School Certifying Official, there may be a delay in receiving the benefits that you have earned.
  4. If you apply for federal benefits, you will receive an email from the VA as soon as our School Certifying Official certifies your benefits. Watch for this to ensure that your benefits were processed by the Wright Center.
  5. If you apply for Wisconsin benefits, you will notice in PASS that once your benefit has been processed, your tuition and fees will be removed from your term balance.


Determining which of the many veteran’s education benefits you may be eligible for is a complex process. Your School Certifying Officials and County Veteran Service Officers are here to help.

For details, read the section below that best describes you. Then contact your School Certifying Official or County Veteran Service Officer to learn more about how to apply.

These are only examples, to receive an accurate determination of benefits, you will need to contact your County Veterans Service Officer for your individual eligibility.

County Veteran Service Officer Contact Information - Wisconsin 
County Veteran Service Officer Contact Information - Illinois 
County Veteran Service Officer Contact Information - Iowa

Processing Benefits Each Term

Complete the Veteran Services Information Sheet to let the School Certifying Official know that you want your benefits processed for the current or upcoming term. This must be completed each semester.

  • Please fill it out once enrolled for classes, prior to the start of the semester.
  • We will process your benefits when you turn in and fill out the form.