A commitment to your safety
The Safe Walk program is a free service to students and employees of the campus who want to be escorted anywhere on campus or within an approximate two-block distance off-campus. The service is available any time of the day but limited to officer availability.
Anyone needing the Safe Walk service is to call the University Police Department at 608.342.1584. The officers will meet you and accompany you on foot to or at any location on campus and within two blocks off-campus.
General Safety Tips:
- Plan ahead and go with friends to and from events and activities.
- Walk with friends or a group, especially in hours of darkness.
- Walk in well-lit areas and stick to sidewalks.
- Be intentionally aware while walking.
- Pay attention to your surroundings using all of your senses. That means no distractions by iPods, smartphones, and headphones.
- Plan your route and scan for available escape routes in case you need them.
- Actively note the locations of emergency call boxes along your route
- Use your intuition—if a situation doesn’t feel right, leave the area.