The UW-Platteville Symphony Orchestra is open to students, faculty, staff, and community members who can read music. Wind and percussion players will be selected by studio faculty. String players do not need to audition for membership but are required to play for the director to determine chair placement. Recorded chair placements are to be submitted online via CANVAS prior to the start of the school year. If students are unable to submit a recording, there will be an opportunity for face-to-face auditions during the first week of classes. All community members interested in participating must contact the director.
The orchestra rehearses on Mondays from 7–9:30 p.m. in Room 109, Center for the Arts.
If you are interested in joining the UW-Platteville Symphony Orchestra, please contact Craig Mason.
Concerto/Aria Competition Information
Who may audition?
- Any full-time UW Platteville college student enrolled in applied lessons at UWP. (There may be some exceptions to this. Please contact the UWP orchestra director with any questions).
- Any middle and high school student who are studying privately.
- Soloists or chamber ensembles.
What are steps before applying?
- Check to be sure you have support and approval from your applied teacher (university students) or your private teacher (middle and high school students) to audition.
- Contact the UWP orchestra director to discuss the music you will be auditioning with. Required discussions topics include availability of the accompaniment, possible rental fees, etc.
How do you apply?
When are applications due?
Applications are due at the end of September.
What is the audition process?
- You must create a video of your accompanied audition and send to email@example.com. The file will be too large for email; Please use some type of sharing service, such as WE TRANSFER, ONE DRIVE, GOOGLE DRIVE, etc. You may also place your video on YouTube and email the link.
- You must use an accompanist in your audition viseo.
- Independent, professional musicians will assess the video auditions. No music faculty from UWP will be involved in the assessments.
- The judges may select up to two winners. The judges may also select no winner(s).
- Announcements will be made by the end of November by email and will be posted on the UWP Orchestra website.
When is the performance?
The performance is during the spring semester.
When do you rehearse with the orchestra?
Rehearsal times will be determined between the director of the orchestra and the performer(s).