Many of the courses in the University of Wisconsin-Platteville Mathematics Department require calculators. A cell phone calculator is never allowed on tests, so plan to have a calculator if your course requires one. Individual instructors may restrict the use of any type of calculator in their class.
For the following courses, a scientific calculator (such as one of the TI-30 models) or a graphing calculator (such as the TI-83, 84, 85, 86 or the TI-Nspire with TI-84 keyboard) is required:
- MATH 1530 College Algebra
- MATH 1630 Finite Mathematics with Applications
- MATH 1730 Mathematics of Finance (no business calculators allowed)
- MATH 1830 Elementary Statistics
- MATH 2450 Precalculus
- MATH 2530 Trigonometry and Analytic Geometry
- MATH 2640 Calculus and Analytic Geometry I
- MATH 2730 Discrete Mathematics
- MATH 2740 Calculus and Analytic Geometry II
- MATH 2840 Calculus and Analytic Geometry III
- MATH 3630 Differential Equations I
- MATH 4030 Statistical Methods with Applications
If you are enrolling in a 1000-level course and do not already own a graphing calculator, we recommend that you wait to purchase one until after the first day of class. Your instructor will provide specific calculator requirements for that class.
CAS (Computer Algebra Systems) Calculators
Calculators with Computer Algebra Systems (CAS), such as the TI-89, TI-92 and TI-inspire with CAS keypad, or their equivalent, are not allowed in any math course. In other courses, calculators may be required but there are no specifications as to the type.
MATH 12 and 15
In MATH 12 and MATH 15, scientific calculators are required.
- Graphing calculators may not be used during any test or the final exam.
- Basic four-function calculators do not have enough features for MATH 12 or MATH 15.
- Business/financial calculators are not appropriate for MATH 12 or MATH 15.
Some brands are not allowed because of capabilities that interfere with the course objectives. You should carefully check your calculator to make sure you have one on the following approved calculators:
- TI-30X IIB*
- TI-30X IIS*
- TI-34 II Explorer Plus*
- TI-36X II*
- TI-36X Solar*
- Casio FX-115MSPlus*
- Casio FX-300MSPlus*
- Casio FX-260Solar
- Casio FX-250HC
- Sharp EL-531WBBK*
- Sharp EL-531WBBL*
- Sharp EL-501WBBK
- Sharp EL-501WBBL
- Sharp EL-500WBBK
*Also sufficient for MATH 1830
The following calculators are NOT allowed for any MATH 12 or MATH 15 tests:
- Any graphing or programmable calculator
- Cell phones: Phones need to be stored away during class
- TI-30XS MultiView
- TI-34 MultiView
- TI-36 Pro
- Casio FX-115ES
- Casio FX-300ES
- Sharp EL-520WBBK
- Sharp EL-506WBBK
- Sharp EL-W516B
- Sharp EL-W535B