Parents and Families
Preparing for college is an exciting and busy time for students and families alike. One of the most important things you can do to support your student during this transition is encourage them to take part in our New Student Experience activities, including attending an on-campus orientation experience on their campus. We invite you to attend on-campus orientation with your student and participate in our guest programming.
What is New Student Experience?
NSE is our three-step approach to preparing your student to transition to UW-Platteville, including Advising and Registration, Orientation, and Welcome Week.
We will be communicating directly with your student about required actions and important deadlines to ensure they get the most out of this experience. After beginning their New Student Experience in their PASS account, transfer students will receive a welcome email with two important to-do items:
- Instruction on setting up an appointment with their academic advisor. Students will need to meet with their advisor to register for classes.
- Information on enrolling in our New Student Experience Canvas course.
Stay connected with NSE
We have created several forms of communication so you can get updates, stay informed, and make connections with the university and other parents and families of new students.
- Review our Parent Checklist for information about the overall New Student Experience and to see what your student's next steps will be.
- Sign up to receive emails from NSE. Your student can add an email address and phone number for a parent or family member in the "New Student Experience" menu in their PASS account.
- Plan to attend On-Campus Orientation with your student. We have a wide array of guest programming planned to get you familiar with UW-Platteville and many opportunities to answer questions. Double check with your student to confirm they provided your name when they started their NSE in their PASS account.
Your student will soon have a lot of tasks to complete as part of NSE. While they should start to take responsibility for these tasks, you can help them stay on track by encouraging them to check their campus email often and to contact the New Student Experience team if they have any questions.
Check out our orientation booklets for up-to-date information about every resource on your student's UW-Platteville campus.
Continue to check this page for updates, as we will be adding information for parents and families throughout the New Student Experience.