h_da Academics


The UW-Platteville Exchange program at Hochschule Darmstadt University of Applied Sciences (h_da) is designed to provide students with a personalized and integrated living and learning experience in Germany. Students may participate for a spring semester or for a full academic year, enrolling in between 12 and 18 credits per semester.

Please note that the course work offered in English at h_da is extremely limited.  The majority of past program participants have taken a German language and culture course, typically worth four credits, and participated in a research project with a local professor, conducted in English, which was determined upon arrival in Germany.

All courses are taken alongside local and international students, and the courses available each term can be found on h_da's website. To see a list of courses offered in English, follow the file link at the bottom of the page.

If you wish to do a Summer or Winterim program, visit their website for the course(s) available.

Required Courses

Students are not required to enroll in any specific courses.

resident credits

Credits will be validated on an official transcript from h_da at the end of the semester. 

The credit hours awarded at h_da are measured using the European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS), and students can read more about the American Credit conversion on the Academic Planning page. The grades students receive abroad will be converted to the U.S. grading system of A, B, C, etc. based on the official transcript that is received from h_da. UW-Platteville Education Abroad uses the following conversion guide as a guideline, provided by World Education Services, in converting students’ grades: Grade Conversion.

*Please note that this only serves as a general conversion guideline.

While all credits should be transferable, students should work with their academic advisor at their home institution to choose appropriate and beneficial courses from the h-da curriculum prior to their semester abroad.  Courses that may fulfill specific requirements for major, minor, general education or elective requirements towards an American degree must be approved by the appropriate person(s) at the home institution.  Please see the Academic Planning and Credit Transfer page for more information.


Footer Anchor