Parents and Families
Preparing for college is an exciting and busy time for students and families alike. One of the most important things you can do to support your student during this transition is encourage them to participate fully in our New Student Experience activities, including attending an on-campus orientation experience on their campus. We invite you to attend on-campus orientation with your student and participate in our parent and family programming.
You can also help your student stay on track for their New Student Experience. Encourage them to check their emails carefully and reach out to us if they have questions about their next steps.
What is New Student Experience?
We will be communicating directly with your student about required actions and important deadlines to ensure they get the most out of this experience. Some important items to note are:
- All students must pre-register for and take the UW System Placement Tests before they are able to meet with their advisor and register for classes. The UW System Placement Testing Fee of $30.00 has been waived for 2022-2023. Students will not be charged testing fees.
- The New Student Experience fee is $100 for the Platteville campus and $75 for the Richland and Baraboo Sauk County campuses. This fee will appear on the semester billing statement and covers materials, mailings, student staff, and Welcome Weekend activities.
Stay connected with NSE
We have created several forms of communication so you can get updates, stay informed, and make connections with the university, other parents, and families of new students.
- Sign up to receive emails from NSE. Your student can add an email address and phone number for a parent or family member in the "Reserve a Date" menu in their PASS account.
- Plan to attend On-Campus Orientation with your student. We have a wide array of parent and family programming planned to get you familiar with UW-Platteville and many opportunities to answer questions. Double check with your student to confirm they provided your name when they signed up for NSE in PASS.
Your student will soon have a lot of tasks to complete as part of NSE. Please review the checklist below for your student's campus to help them stay on track with their New Student Experience.
- New Student Checklist – Platteville
- New Student Checklist – Baraboo Sauk County
- New Student Checklist – Richland
Check out our orientation booklets for up-to-date information about every resource on your student's UW-Platteville campus.
Continue to check this page for updates, as we will be adding information for parents and families throughout the New Student Experience.