McNair Scholars Program at UW-Platteville
The Ronald E. McNair Postbaccalaureate Achievement Program, also called the McNair Scholars Program, is designed to help undergraduate students who are low income, first generation, and underrepresented to achieve their goal of earning a doctoral degree.
The program helps students transition from undergraduate and graduate education through academic, research, and scholarly experiences. Students selected for the McNair Scholars Program will work with a faculty mentor on a summer research project and receive a stipend of up to $2,800.
Here’s how we can help you!
- Graduate Records Examination preparation programs
- Individual academic counseling
- Financial literacy training
- Graduate school visits
- Social and cultural enrichment opportunities
Are you eligible for the McNair Scholars Program?
UW-Platteville undergraduate students must meet criteria one or two. All students must meet criteria three and four. All majors are welcome to apply!
- First-generation, low-income college student
- Member of traditionally underrepresented groups in graduate education: African American, Hispanic/Latinx, Native American Indian/Alaskan Native
- A minimum cumulative Grade Point Average of 3.0 and 45 earned college credits.
- US citizen or permanent resident.
Apply to the McNair Scholars Program today!
Completed application material needs to be submitted in-person to Dr. Quentin D. Sprengelmeyer, Room 108, Warner Hall. To complete the application, you will need to fill out the eligibility form, a personal statement, two letters of recommendation, and unofficial transcripts.
- Eligibility form found here
- Personal Statement: Please provide a personal statement (no more than 1000 words). Please consider these prompts as you are writing this statement:
- Why do you want to pursue a Ph.D.?
- What are your long-term career goals?
- How can the McNair Scholars Program assist you in attaining those goals?
- What specific research area interests you the most? Discuss any current research or a possible research topic and mentor/professor with whom you would like to work.
- Two letters of recommendation (at least one letter must be from a professor)
- Unofficial transcripts
Deadline to Apply is November 3, 2023
UW-Platteville receives $1.3 million grant for transformational McNair Scholars Program
The U.S. Department of Education’s Ronald E. McNair Postbaccalaureate Achievement Program provides grants to institutions of higher education for projects designed to support diverse, first-generation, low-income students with effective preparation for doctoral studies.