A tuition reciprocity agreement exists between Wisconsin and Minnesota. This agreement says that residents of Minnesota can attend Wisconsin institutions, including the University of Wisconsin-Platteville, in approved programs and be charged the approved reciprocity tuition rate, plus segregated fees assessed to all students.

Learn more about Minnesota-Wisconsin Reciprocity from the Minnesota Office of Higher Education.

Agreement Details

New applications are available each spring for the following academic year. Your best insurance for receiving the reciprocity tuition price at the time of registration is to apply during the spring or summer before classes start in the fall.

  • If you want to be approved for reciprocity for the entire academic year, you must apply online or have the paper application postmarked by the last day of scheduled classes for the fall (or first semester) term. Applications filed online or postmarked after the last day of a term will be processed only for the remaining terms in the academic year...
  • A certification year runs from the beginning of the fall term and extends through the end of the following summer term.
  • Reciprocity will be automatically renewed for a subsequent academic year for students who met the following conditions during the spring term of the previous academic year: 
    • Enrolled for credit courses at UW-Platteville
    • Remained enrolled beyond the 100% adjustment period and
    • Paid reciprocity tuition.
  • Students need to reapply for reciprocity if they were not enrolled at all during an academic year or were enrolled but did not take advantage of reciprocity tuition because of an assistantship or third-party payment contract.
  • Any student transferring from another eligible Wisconsin school must contact the Minnesota Higher Education Office to notify them they have transferred. The reciprocity agreement does not automatically transfer to the new school. 

How to Apply for Reciprocity

Minnesota residents must first apply to the Minnesota Office of Higher Education for verification of their eligibility for reciprocity. 

Visit How To Apply for Reciprocity to access the reciprocity application, apply online or to download and print the paper version. The reciprocity application may also be requested by contacting: 

Office of Higher Education
1450 Energy Park Drive, Suite 350
St. Paul, MN 55108
Tel: 651.642.0567 or 800.657.3866

Wisconsin Residents

The Minnesota-Wisconsin reciprocity agreement allows Wisconsin residents to attend Minnesota public universities at in-state tuition rates. Learn more about Minnesota-Wisconsin Reciprocity from the Wisconsin Higher Educational Aids Board (HEAB).

Wisconsin residents who wish to take advantage of Minnesota-Wisconsin Tuition Reciprocity must apply for certification as a Wisconsin resident to HEAB. Visit HEAB to access the reciprocity application or contact:   

Wisconsin Higher Educational Aids Board
Reciprocity Program
P.O. Box 7885
Madison, WI 53707
Tel: 608.267.2209
Email: HEABmail@heab.state.wi.us

Contact Information

Financial Aid & Scholarships

2100 Ullsvik Hall
Monday-Friday, 7:45 a.m.-4:15 p.m.