Grants are funds provided by federal, state, or private sources that do not need to be repaid, provided that the student successfully completes the term or terms for which the grants were provided. Grants are awarded based on financial need and federal guidelines. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be completed to be considered for all federal and state grants unless otherwise stated.

Types of Grants

Advanced Opportunity Grant

Awards under this program are made to graduate students of African American, Hispanic, Native American or designated Southeast Asian heritage and economically disadvantaged students. Students must show financial need. Review the AOP eligibility requirements and complete the AOP Grant Application. Submit the completed application to the Financial Aid Office.

Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant is available to high-need undergraduate students seeking their first undergraduate degree. A student’s eligibility is determined by the federal need analysis formula. The amount of the Pell Grant varies depending on the information supplied on the FAFSA, and whether a student attends school full time or part time.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant

The Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant is awarded to undergraduate students with high need and is awarded in addition to the Federal Pell Grant. Eligibility is also based on the availability of funds. 

Federal TEACH Grant

The Federal Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant provides grants of up to $4,000 a year to students who are completing, or plan to complete, coursework needed to begin a career in teaching.

Hearing and Visually Handicapped Student Grant

The Hearing and Visually Handicapped Student Grant provides funding for undergraduate Wisconsin residents enrolled at in-state or eligible out-of-state public or independent institutions that show financial need and have a severe or profound hearing or visual impairment. Students are eligible to receive up to $1,800 per year for up to 10 semesters. Students must apply through the Wisconsin Higher Education Aids Board.

Indian Student Assistance Grant 

Indian Student Assistance Grants are available to Wisconsin residents who are at least 25% Native American and are undergraduate or graduate students enrolled in a degree or certificate program. Awards are based on financial need with a limit of 10 semesters of eligibility. 

Lawton Grant

The Lawton Grant is available to undergraduate Wisconsin residents of African American, Hispanic, Native American or Southeast Asian (Vietnamese, Cambodian, Laotian, or Hmong) heritage. Students must have at least sophomore standing (30 credits or more) and at least a 2.00 grade point average. Awards are based on financial need. 

Talent Incentive Program Grant

The Talent Incentive Program Grant provides grant assistance to the most financially needy and educationally disadvantaged undergraduate Wisconsin resident students. First-time freshmen students are nominated for the TIP Grant by the school financial aid offices or by counselors of the Wisconsin Educational Opportunity Programs (WEOP). To continue to receive the TIP Grant, students must show financial need. Eligibility cannot exceed 10 semesters and is only available for six years after the initial grant is awarded. Funding for the TIP Grant is provided by both the state of Wisconsin and the federal government. Eligibility requirements can be found through the State of Wisconsin Higher Educational Aids Board

Wisconsin Grant

The Wisconsin Grant, formerly known as the Wisconsin Higher Education Grant (WHEG), is a state funded grant available to undergraduate Wisconsin residents pursuing their first undergraduate degree who have high need, as determined by the state formula. Students must be enrolled for at least six credits and can receive the grant for a maximum of 10 semesters.

Wisconsin Study Abroad Grant

Awards under this program are made to undergraduate Wisconsin residents studying full time in an approved study abroad program or our International One-to-One Exchange program. Students with demonstrated financial need may qualify for up to $1,800 to apply to the study abroad program cost. Wisconsin residents with financial need may qualify for a $300 grant for short-term programs. Contact the study abroad office for more information and how to apply at or at 608.342.1726.

Contact Information

Financial Aid & Scholarships

2100 Ullsvik Hall
Monday-Friday, 7:45 a.m.-4:15 p.m.