The University of Wisconsin-Platteville is committed to providing a quality educational experience for all students. The objective of the student complaint process is to ensure all official student complaints are addressed fairly and promptly.

The Dean of Students Office manages the student complaint process and is available to advise and support you throughout the process.

Before You File a Complaint

Many campus issues can be resolved without a formal complaint. Before you submit an official student complaint, the university requires that you have already attempted resolution through standard university procedures.

For example, if you have a complaint regarding a faculty member, you should first seek to resolve that issue with the faculty member, or with the department chair.

Here are more suggestions of potential first steps:

How to Submit a Complaint

Only formal written complaints, signed by a you or sent through your official UW-Platteville email, and addressed to the Dean of Students will be accepted as official complaints. In the complaint, you need to demonstrate that you have already attempted and not achieved resolution through other university procedures.

You can mail or deliver formal written complaints to:

Dean of Students Office
1 University Plaza
2300 MPSC
Platteville, WI 53818

Or, email to You must use your official UW-Platteville student email address.

After Submitting a Complaint

Once the Dean of Students Office receives a complaint, the following steps will be implemented:

  1. Official complaints will be tracked by the Dean of Students Office who will note the nature of the complaint, and the date it was first formally submitted, and then assign the complaint to the appropriate university authority for resolution.
  2. Once the outcome of the complaint has been determined, the assigned authority will submit a written summary to the Dean of Students Office including the following:
    • The steps taken to resolve the complaint
    • The university's final decision regarding the complaint, including referrals to outside agencies
    • A list of any external entities contacted by the student to investigate the complaint, if known by the university (e.g. the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, attorneys, etc.)
  3. If the assigned authority does not submit a documented resolution, the Dean of Students Office will contact the assigned authority's supervisor to follow up.
  4. Once the complaint has been resolved, the student will receive information about the outcome.

Contact Information

Dean of Students

2300 Markee Pioneer Student Center