Education happens inside and outside of the classroom. Earn prior learning credit with the completion of other valuable experiences, such as Advanced Placement classes, military service, professional development, and more.

Credit from High School 

Earn advanced credit for the successful completion of college-level coursework while in high school.

Project Lead the Way
Project Lead the Way provides learning opportunities in computer science, engineering, and biomedical science for pre-kindergarten through senior year students. You may be able to receive college credit if you have completed Project Lead the Way courses. View the Project Lead the Way courses approved for college credit.

Advanced Placement (AP) Examinations
You may be able to receive credit or advanced placement if you have participated in the Advanced Placement (AP) Examination program. You can have your Advanced Placement Examination score report sent to the UW-Platteville at Review the list of AP examinations that will receive credit in a UW-Platteville course. Our AP code is 1917.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
If you’ve taken a College Level Examination program (CLEP), you may be able to receive credit for the knowledge you received. Review the CLEP exam to course listing to determine if your exam will transfer to UW-Platteville credits. Our CLEP code is 1917.

International Baccalaureate (IB) Examinations
If you’ve completed any of the International Baccalaureate (IB) Examinations, you may be able to receive credit toward your degree. You can review the IB exams that will transfer to credits at UW-Platteville.

Transfer Credit for Graduate Programs

Our graduate programs recognize the value of previous life experience in building knowledge and skills. If you believe an experience could be applicable to your studies, speak with an admission counselor to see if it qualifies. Have a professional credential? Head to the master’s program page in your area of interest to see if the credential can be converted to graduate-level credits.  

Military Experience

You can receive two credits in physical education, if you’ve served in the regular armed forces for more than one year. If you have served two years or more that included an overseas assignment, you may be able to receive credit for elective courses. Credit may be allowed for courses recommended by the American Council on Education in A Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services. For questions, contact the Wright Center at 608.342.7596 or email

Test-Outs and Waivers

UW-Platteville offers a variety of assessment methods for awarding credit such as department examinations or test-outs, and department waivers are commonly used for establishing proficiency in a subject area. While you may attempt to test out of many introductory courses, test-outs are not offered for every course or by every department.

If you have extensive training or significant practical experience, you may be able to apply to the appropriate department chair for permission to begin the test-out process. Individual departments administer and begin the test-out process, evaluate tests for credit in a variety of ways and may charge for the evaluation.

To qualify for a departmental evaluation, you will need to meet the following guidelines:

  • Be enrolled atUW-Platteville.
  • Credit for examinations with the departmental approval will be entered on your permanent scholastic record.
  • If you fail a credit examination, it may not be repeated.
  • You may not take a credit examination in a course which is a prerequisite for an advanced course in the same subject for which credit has already been earned.
  • The maximum credit which you can earn in any one field is determined by the academic department in which the test-out is taken.
  • A fee may be charged for administering examinations. Fees vary by department and your student status (full-time or part-time).