This fall, workers and students will have the opportunity to earn a Customer Service Certificate from the University of Wisconsin-Platteville Continuing Education Institute. The program was designed to address a growing need in the tourism and hospitality industry and local chambers of commerce.
"Businesses are craving this type of training," said Kerie Wedige, executive director of the UW-Platteville Continuing Education Institute. "We heard expectations are high for businesses in regards to customer service since the return from COVID-19 shutdowns."
The certificate program aims to teach students effective tools to navigate customer relations and build successful customer experiences through relationship building, critical thinking and communication. The program consists of six courses. Workers looking to boost a specific skill can take a course individually, but all six courses must be completed to earn the certificate. The courses include:
- Put the Customer Back Into Customer Service | Sept. 16, 1:30-4:30 p.m. CT
- Choosing Success and Professionalism in the Workplace | Sept. 30, 1:30-4:30 p.m. CT
- Effective Communication; Dealing with Difficult Conversations | Oct. 7, 1:30-4:30 p.m. CT
- Critical Thinking and Decision Making | Oct. 21, 1:30-4:30 p.m. CT
- Boosting Team Effectiveness and DiSC | Nov. 4, 1:30-4:30 p.m. CT
- Resume Building, Interview Skills, and Phone Etiquette | Nov. 18, 1:30-4:30 p.m. CT
Certified John Maxwell coach April Vaassen leads the certificate program. She brings a combination of 15 years of experience in the customer service and relations field, as well as an educational foundation that includes a psychology degree and a master's in school counseling.
"Customer service quality can make or break your business. Learning proper customer service skills will help retain customers, gain loyalty and reduce employee turnover," Vaassen said. "Students will walk away with an understanding of how to support customers properly, increase communication skills, problem-solve and so much more."
To enroll or learn more about each of the courses, visit www.uwplatt.edu/department/corporate-training-center or call 608-342-1314.