National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements

State Authorization

Pursuant to Wis. Stats. Ch. 39.85, et. al, the State of Wisconsin is a member of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) through the Midwestern Higher Education Compact which regulates the manner in which participating institutions may offer distance learning education to students who reside in other states. The University of Wisconsin-Platteville is a participating institution in MSARA. On September 7, 2016, the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA) approved institutional participation of UW-Platteville. NC-SARA is a voluntary, regional approach to state oversight of postsecondary distance education. The terms and conditions of SARA can be found at SARA Policies and Standards.

At this time, 49 of the 50 U.S. states are SARA members, however, the remaining non-SARA state of California does not regulate online distance education programs offered by public institutions, therefore UW-Platteville is authorized to offer distance education programs to residents in all 50 states.

International Enrollments

The University of Wisconsin-Platteville works to provide global access to its online degree programs. While we monitor issues related to international authorization and licensure, it is your responsibility to understand current circumstances or special requirements surrounding whether an online degree will be recognized in a country other than the United States, how the collection of student data may be used in another country, and whether withholding taxes (in addition to the price of tuition) will apply. Some countries may not formally recognize foreign online degrees, which may have implications for those who later seek to enroll in other educational programs, or for those who seek employment with that country's government or other employers requiring specific credentials.

International students considering an academic program that leads to a professional license should first confirm with the appropriate professional licensing board in your country of residence or the country where you intent to work as to whether a UW-Platteville online degree will be recognized when seeking licensure or certification.

Refund Policy

Tuition refunds are subject to due dates and other conditions.

Complaint Resolution

Student Concerns and the Complaint Process

Student concerns are best handled when addressed in a timely manner by those who are best able to address and remedy the concern. This is often times the faculty or staff members with whom the concern is about, or the direct supervisor or department chair of the area in which the concern is expressed. Procedures for student academic and non-academic concerns and complaints are outlined below.

Outside State Complaints Relating to Distance Learning

Pursuant to the United States Department of Education’s Program Integrity Rule, the University of Wisconsin-Platteville is required to provide all prospective and current students with the contact information of the state agency or agencies that handle complaints against postsecondary education institutions offering distance learning or correspondence education within that state. Students are encouraged to utilize the institution’s internal complaint or review policies and procedures prior to filing a complaint with the state agency or agencies. You can find the student complaints for Wisconsin at the Wisconsin SARA Portal Agency.

Professional Licensure

Excerpt from the Bureau of Labor Statistics:

Licenses and certifications show that a person has the specific knowledge or skill needed to do a job. Typically, you earn these credentials after you've completed your education. Sometimes, you become licensed or certified after you've gained practical experience, such as through an internship, residency, or time on the job.

Earning a license or certification involves meeting standards, which often includes passing an exam. Licenses and certifications are usually valid for a limited term and must be renewed periodically. An employer may require either credential.

However, there are a few key differences in the way BLS uses these terms. As shown below, one of the biggest distinctions between these two credentials is that licenses are legally required by the government to work in an occupation; certifications are not.


  • Awarded by a governmental licensing agency
  • Gives legal authority to work in an occupation
  • Requires meeting predetermined criteria, such as having a degree or passing a state-administered exam.


  • Awarded by a professional organization or other nongovernmental body
  • Is not legally required in order to work in an occupation
  • Requires demonstrating competency to do a specific job, often through an examination process.

Sometimes, these credentialing terms are used interchangeably. For example, states may refer to the credentials teachers need as certifications. However, BLS would define them as licenses because they are issued by a state government and are legally required for many teaching jobs.

UW-Platteville Online Degree Programs and Licensure

Important Note for Prospective Students: If you are considering an academic program that leads you to obtaining professional licensure in your state, it is highly recommended that you contact the appropriate licensing agency in your state to seek information and additional guidance before beginning a program outside of your state. For licensing board contact information and approval status, please see below.

Careers typically pursued by graduates of the associate degrees, Professional Studies, Business Administration, Project Management, Integrated Supply Chain Management, Organizational Change Leadership, Sport Administration, Strategic Management, Applied Computing, Applied Biotechnology, Cybersecurity, and Healthcare Administration programs are not regulated by state licensing boards therefore these programs do not lead to licensure. A number of certifications granted by professional organizations may help professionals in these fields qualify for specific positions and earn higher salaries. You are encouraged to learn about professional certification opportunities relevant to your field of study.

Completion of either Criminal Justice degree program prepares you for a wide variety of careers in areas such as law enforcement, corrections, and the judiciary. Success in your chosen field may require additional experience and/or training beyond this degree. Advanced degrees or certifications may be required for academic or clinical positions. This degree does not lead to professional licensure. Students interested in becoming a police officer in Minnesota, please be advised that the education requirements are unique in this state. A degree in criminal justice does not meet licensing exam eligibility requirements unless it is granted by a POST Board Certified Peace Officer Education Program. Graduates of UW-Platteville’s criminal justice programs will need to complete a certificate program offered by a POST Board Certified Peace Officer Education Program to sit for the POST licensing exam.

Certain engineering tasks require Professional Engineer (PE) licensure.

Contact Information

Professional Program Support

2100 Ullsvik Hall