At the University of Wisconsin-Platteville, we want you to plan your education abroad experience carefully. Academic advisors are a great resource at every stage of the process.

Course Selection and Resident Credits

To secure approval of courses taken abroad, some advisors and/or department chairs may request to see course descriptions for the course’s students intend on taking abroad. Those course descriptions can typically be found on the website of the university abroad. If more detailed descriptions or syllabi are required, please contact the UW-Platteville Education Abroad Office.

UW-Platteville Students

It is your responsibility to work with your academic advisor to complete the International Study Course Approval Form (ISCAF) while you are applying for an education abroad program.

Your academic advisor can help you choose the best courses, and how the credits can fulfill major, minor, general education, and/or elective credit towards your degree.

Non-Platteville Students

You should work with your academic advisor and education abroad advisor to choose courses for your term abroad. Most campuses have an "international study course approval form" or "study abroad transfer credit form" for students to complete, in addition to any necessary paperwork to ensure credit transfer prior to departure.

Participation in an education abroad program does not guarantee credit transfer.

Course Load

Students must remain enrolled as full-time students while studying abroad, or risk losing full-time status, which can mean facing loan repayment, etc. For a semester, you must enroll in at least 12 U.S. credits. Most students take between 12 and 15 U.S. credits, and it is a very manageable load as students are still making strong academic progress but do not face an overwhelming amount of coursework.

In addition, some programs require that students do not take more than a certain number of courses or credits, so be sure to note academic policies on the education abroad program provider’s website.

The number of courses/credits required for short-term programs (Winterim, spring break, or summer) will vary. The education abroad program provider will typically outline on their website the number of courses or credits students are required to take based on the length of the program.

Credit Hours

Be aware that credit systems vary around the world. Below are some common credit systems and their typical U.S. equivalents:

Australian Units 10 units 4 U.S. credits
British Credits 15 credits
20 credits
3 U.S. credits
4 U.S. credits
European ECTS 1 ECTS
0.5 U.S. credits
1.0 U.S. credits
Fijian Courses 1 course 4 U.S. credits

Please note that this chart serves as a general conversion guideline, as each institution abroad is evaluated independently. In some cases students may receive a higher number of U.S. credits at the discretion of the UW-Platteville Education Abroad Office.

Contact Information

Education Abroad

0328 Warner Hall
Monday through Friday 8AM-4:30PM

Walk-in Hours via Zoom

Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday
2–3:30 p.m.