At the University of Wisconsin-Platteville, we want you to plan your education abroad experience carefully. Academic advisors are a great resource at every stage of the process.
Course Selection and Resident Credits
It is your responsibility to work with your academic advisor to complete the International Study Course Approval Form (ISCAF) while you are applying for an education abroad program.
Your academic advisor can help you choose the best courses, and how the credits can fulfill major, minor, general education, and/or elective credit towards your degree.
You should work with your academic advisor and education abroad advisor to choose courses for your term abroad. Most campuses have an "international study course approval form" or "study abroad transfer credit form" for students to complete, in addition to any necessary paperwork to ensure credit transfer prior to departure.
Participation in an education abroad program does not guarantee credit transfer.
Students must remain enrolled as full-time students while studying abroad, or risk losing full-time status, which can mean facing loan repayment, etc. For a semester, you must enroll in at least 12 U.S. credits. Most students take between 12 and 15 U.S. credits, and it is a very manageable load as students are still making strong academic progress but do not face an overwhelming amount of coursework.
In addition, some programs require that students do not take more than a certain number of courses or credits, so be sure to note academic policies on the education abroad program provider’s website.
The number of courses/credits required for short-term programs (Winterim, spring break, or summer) will vary. The education abroad program provider will typically outline on their website the number of courses or credits students are required to take based on the length of the program.
Be aware that credit systems vary around the world. Below are some common credit systems and their typical U.S. equivalents:
|Australian Units||10 units||4 U.S. credits|
|British Credits||15 credits
|3 U.S. credits
4 U.S. credits
|European ECTS||1 ECTS
|0.5 U.S. credits
1.0 U.S. credits
|Fijian Courses||1 course||4 U.S. credits|
Please note that this chart serves as a general conversion guideline, as each institution abroad is evaluated independently. In some cases students may receive a higher number of U.S. credits at the discretion of the UW-Platteville Education Abroad Office.
The grades students receive abroad will be converted to the United States’ grading system of A, B, C, etc. based on the official transcript that is received from the host institution. UW-Platteville Education Abroad uses the following conversion guide, provided by World Education Services, in converting students’ grades.
The following course equivalencies have been established by the UW-Platteville College of Engineering, Mathematics and Science, the Department of Biology, and the Department of Geography. It is not necessary for students to get these select established equivalencies re-approved by the department heads on the International Study Course Approval Form.
- University of Newcastle, Australia: Chemistry
- University of Newcastle, Australia: Computer Science, Software Engineering
- University of Newcastle, Australia: Electrical Engineering
- University of Newcastle, Australia: General Engineering
- University of Newcastle, Australia: Mathematics
- University of Newcastle, Australia: Mechanical Engineering
- University of the South Pacific, Fiji: Biology
- University of the South Pacific, Fiji: Geography
The following previously approved equivalencies were approved to fulfill major, minor, general education, or elective requirements for previous participants. Please note that this is not a guarantee that it will be approved again as it will depend on the student’s degree requirements and the discretion of their academic advisor. This is meant merely as a guideline for students and their academic advisors, and students will need to complete the International Study Course Approval Form for all course transfer.
UW-Platteville Education Abroad Programs
- American University of Rome, Italy
- Nagasaki University of Foreign Studies, Japan
- Spanish-American Institute of International Education, Spain
- St. Mary's University Twickenham, London, England
- University of Newcastle, Australia
- University of the South Pacific, Fiji
UW-Platteville Exchange Programs
- Dronten University of Applied Sciences, Netherlands
- No course equivalencies currently available for Hochschule Darmstadt, Germany
- James Cook University, Australia
- Jönköping University, Sweden
- No course equivalencies currently available for Middle East Technical University, Turkey
- Université de Technologie Belfort-Montbéliard, France
- No course equivalencies currently available for University of Newcastle, Australia
- University of Stavanger, Norway
- Windesheim University of Applied Sciences, Netherlands
View All News
View All Events