Objectives and Outcomes
The mission of the Mechanical Engineering program is to provide an open, student-friendly environment with frequent student-faculty interaction that results in a quality undergraduate mechanical engineering education and enables our graduates to practice their profession with proficiency and integrity.
Program Educational Objectives
Within five years after graduation, our graduates are expected to:
- Build upon and adapt knowledge of science, mathematics, and engineering to solve more complex problems and take on more expansive projects that require an increased level of technical expertise, business acumen, flexible team engagement, and leadership.
- Use effective communication and analytical skills within their project teams and with other stakeholders.
- Be capable and independent team members, who are aware of stakeholders within and outside of their projects and who conduct themselves ethically and professionally.
By graduation, students in our program are expected to attain the following student outcomes:
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics.
- an ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors.
- an ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
- an ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts.
- an ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives.
- an ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions.
- an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.