Facilities and Labs
Automation and Electronics
The McDermott House was designed by a construction management student at UW-Platteville. This unique design required more than two garage stalls, so a basement was located under the garage.
To carry the heavy weight of the vehicles, precast concrete core slabs were used for the garage floor, which is the ceiling of the basement garage stall. Watch a YouTube video showing the core slabs being placed by crane.
Equipment in the Building Construction Management lab includes:
- Miter saws
- Table saws
- Portable circular saws
- Bayonet saws
- Cordless tools
- And many others
The lab is equipped so students can perform the following types of casting operations:
- green sand molding
- petro-bond sand molding
- permanent molding
- lost wax molding
- lost foam molding
Students are able to pour
- cast iron
- cast steel
Many consumer and industrial products are made of plastic and working with plastic is a valuable skill.
The plastics lab includes injection molders, blow formers, vacuum formers, and more.
FANUC robots are in the top three robotics companies worldwide. Our labs have three industry-standard FANUC robots, two of the LR Mate range and one M. These are interfaced with conveyors and vision systems. In addition to the physical robots, we also use offline robotics programming, using the industry-standard ROBOGUIDE software package. As technology merges across all sectors, we utilize the FANUC robots to not only cover robotics but also automation, vision, and manufacturing. In addition to practice in robot programming and troubleshooting, this lab is also used in interfacing sensors and actuators in automation. FANUC Robotics ROBOGUIDE simulation software and teach pendants available for students to learn how to program real-life programming and robotics implementation skills. This lab is a springboard for our graduates, as manufacturing engineering and automation managers, our graduates are familiar with the full spectrum of tasks that of an operator, technician, engineer or programmer needed to set up, program, troubleshoot and maintain robots.
Robotics and Controls Lab
Robotics are present in an ever-growing percentage of factories. We provide experience in our Robotics and Control lab with an x-axis robot, and a work cell.
The students in the program have access to a multitude of different types of equipment which teaches them how to evaluate exposures, select equipment and the learn the proper application and use of the equipment. Both the Occupational Safety Management and the Construction Safety Management students in every class utilize the lab for high impact learning experiences.
- The hands-on safety training lab is a state of the art 3200 square foot facility.
- The lab has all the safety related equipment including the standard PPE all the way to, a full complement of respiratory protection equipment from various PAPR's, supplied air welding helmets. hi tech equipment including a multitude of industrial hygiene instrumentation.
- The lab has a full complement of emergency response equipment from firefighting turns out gear, SCBA's, chemical spill response suits and equipment etc.
- The lab has multiple simulators which includes a Virtual Reality forklift simulator, a confined space simulator, live electrical lock out/tag out simulator, dustless brick saw.
- The lab has scaffolding, rigging equipment, a Mig welder, oxyacetylene cutting torch, engineered horizontal fall protection systems which is used in the construction safety program.
Woods Technology Lab
Although high-tech materials are prevalent today, there is still no substitute in many applications for renewable wood as a building material.
The Woods Technology Lab includes saws, a CNC router table, drill presses, jointers, mortisers, a planer, a router table, and sanders including disk sander, drum sander, thickness sander, and downdraft table.
- Band saw
- Miter saws
- Scroll Saw
- Table saws
- CNC router table
- Disk sander
- Drum sander--oscillating
- Thickness sander
- Down Draft Table
- Drill presses
- Router table