Grants are money that does not have to be repaid (provided that the enrollment period is completed). They are typically need-based and provided by federal, state or private sources. You must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to be considered for all federal and state grants, unless otherwise stated.


Loans are financial assistance that must be repaid. There are education loans available through the federal government and through private lenders. Each loan program has specific eligibility criteria, repayment, cancellation and deferment conditions. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be completed to be considered for all federal education loans.

Return of Funds

In an effort to keep the financial aid refund process simple and straightforward, UW-Platteville, UW-Platteville Baraboo Sauk County, and UW-Platteville Richland has partnered with BankMobile to deliver refunds. You'll can review the Refund of Funds policy.

Federal Work Study

Federal Work Study is a federally funded, need-based program, which gives students an opportunity for part-time employment, on or off campus. The program allows students to earn money to supplement their education while gaining meaningful work experience.