The mission of the University Women’s Council is to lead development, empowerment, and networking opportunities for women. We foster a climate of sensitivity and mutual respect among members of the community, and offer encouragement and support so all individuals can strive to reach their full potential. Within our working environment we will facilitate and create interaction, promote dialogue among all genders, and contribute to a more inclusive society to further close the equity and equality gaps. At the heart of our mission are four areas: providing a forum for women to share their thoughts and concerns; recognizing accomplishments of women at the institution; championing an overall campus climate of achievement and respect; and promoting programs which foster and sustain progression and advancement for women.
University Women’s Council 2015/2017 Goals
Identify issues for women on campus and forward to appropriate university committee(s).
- Solicit information, identify priorities, and communicating results about recruitment, retention/mentoring, and promotion of UW-Platteville women in university staff, academic staff and faculty positions.
- Solicit information, identify priorities, and communicating results about recruitment, retention/mentoring, and promotion of UW-Platteville women students.
- Advocate for sexual assault awareness and gender equality.
Continue to foster the campus network for women
- Use the UW-Platteville women e-lists.
- Maintain University Women’s Council webpage.
- Promote attendance at council meetings/events.
- Offer meeting access for off-campus faculty, academic staff, university staff, and students to participate in University Women’s Council.
Recognize and promote the accomplishments of women on the UW-Platteville campus.
- Administer the Woman of Color, Woman of the Year, and Student Woman of the Year Awards.
- Coordinate an annual reception to recognize the Woman of the Year and Women of Color award winner.
- Coordinate the Woman of Color, Woman of the Year, and Student Woman of the Year entry in the annual Homecoming Parade.
- Coordinate a “Celebrate UW-Platteville Women” event during this goal cycle.
Create a welcoming environment for women on campus.
- Attend and encourage participation in the events held on campus that are specific to women’s issues (those hosted by Athletics, the Doyle Center, the Women’s and Gender Studies program, Women in Engineering, Mathematics and Science Program, etc.).
- Attend and encourage participation in opportunities for women students, faculty, academic staff, and university staff.
- Review funding plan and council budget on a yearly basis.
- Revisit membership at the end of the goal cycle.