The Pioneer Undergraduate Research Fellowship is designed to support and encourage meaningful undergraduate student research, scholarly and creative activities under the direction of a faculty research advisor. Please note that there are changes coming to the PURF. There will be money to support student research in 2018-19 but the application is not yet available; additional details and the new application will be available later this spring. If you have questions please do not hesistate to contact email@example.com.
Research is defined as scholarly activity; including laboratory findngs, qualitative research, creative productions, and other similar projects.
Individual students in every major are eligible and are encouraged to apply; group projects are discouraged. *Preference will be given to those unique projects not currently receiving other forms of funding. The Associate and Assistant Deans from each of the three Colleges at UW-Platteville evaluate the proposals to determine the PURF winners.
PURF Award recipients are required to enroll in the Undergraduate Research Registry and have their manuscripts published in The Pioneer Journal, the online journal for undergraduate research on campus.
The Deadline for student proposals is Monday, February 13, 2017.
faq's and guidelines
- Award amounts range from a minimum of $500.00 to a maximum of $2,000.00. All awardees will receive $500 in salary to be paid out in two $250 payments in the fall and spring semester. The remaining money can be spent on equipment, supplies or travel.
- Work published and posted to The Pioneer Journal.
- Awardees are required to participate in the annual URCE symposium
- Awardees will be expected to attend the 2017 PURF reception on April 26, 2017 and will be required to present their findings at the spring 2018 reception.
Eligibility for students:
- A cumulative GPA of 2.75 or greater.
- Each student must be enrolled at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville in both the Fall (2017) and Spring (2018) semesters.
- Please notify the Selection Committee if you will be in a Study Abroad Program for any part of the 2016-17 Academic Year.
Application requirements: *See Resources links included to the right on this page
- A Cover Page, signed by the faculty research advisor
- A 3-5 page narrative (additional details in PURF checklist document)
- Budget and Budget justification (a brief description of what the money will be used for)
- Letter of recommendation from the Faculty Research Advisor. This letter must include a statement from the Advisor: agreeing to supervise the applicant for ht length of the project, certifying that any items purchased with PURF funds are necessary for the project; agreeing that items purchased with PURF funds are university property.
- Submission of the proposal packet via email attachment to the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Proposals should be directed toward a general audience; avoid the excessive use of jargon.
- Proposals are expected to be the work of the applicant with no writing done by the Advisor.
- Recipients must complete a final report on their findings using Microsoft Word and submission via email attachment to ORSP at email@example.com by May 1, 2018. Copies will be sent to the Provost, Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, and the Faculty Research Advisors.