Recyclemania, February 4 - March 31, 2018
2018 marks the ninth year that UW-Platteville is participating in Recyclemania, the national inter-college recycling competition. Each week during the eight-week competition, UW-Platteville weighs our compost, recycling, and landfill totals to track how well we are diverting our waste from the landfill as compared with the 200+ participating schools. In 2017 UW-Platteville came in 78th nationally and second place out of the four participating UW-System schools. Our final diversion rate was 39.8%! UW-River Falls had a 21% diversion rate, UW-Whitewater's was 26%, and UW-Stout's was 50%. To help increase our waste diversion, please remember to recycle all plastic, paper, glass, and metal products, and compost your food waste in participating locations. To help us increase our waste diversion, please remember to recycling all plastic, paper, glass, and metal products, and compost your food waste in participating locations.
How Recyclemania works
- RECYCLE! Be sure you recycle EVERYTHING possible. It is likely that much more than 50% of your garbage can be recycled!
- Unsure of what to recycle or how? Check out this guide.
- Our local waste hauler, Fahrety's, Inc., picks up all campus recycling and waste each week and weighs it for us.
- We report these weekly weights to our Recyclemania score card which tracks our weights against the 200+ colleges that are participating.
- At the end of the eight week competition our scores are reported for several categories (such as recycling as a percent of overall waste, pounds of recycling per capita, and waste minimization).
Feel free to print and hang the following posters around campus.