In order to maximize use of the student center and other event spaces, Event Reservations follows the policies below in scheduling facility use. Additional policies, such as, UWS Chapter 18: Conduct on University Lands, and the Student Center Facilities Use policies, may apply to groups requesting use of university facilities. Event Reservations staff will assist you in determining which policies apply.
Advance Scheduling policy
Requests for facility use for events at university facilities will be taken no earlier than two years prior to the event date for university departments and organizations, and no earlier than eighteen months prior to the event date for Non-university organizations and individual users.
The following list of events; critical to the continuation of the university and/or traditional to a college campus are not restricted to the two year policy.
- Critical to the continuation of the university:
- Pioneer Preview
- Paths to Platteville
- Tri-State Initiative Day(s)
- Student Shadow Day(s)
- New Student Registration
- New Student Orientation
- Career Fair
- Traditional to a college campus:
- Homecoming events
- Family Weekend
NOTE: Due to state and university offices being closed on LEGAL HOLIDAYS, Markee Pioneer Student Center and other event spaces are not available for use on those dates unless otherwise noted under special hours of operation.
The contact organization for facility use is responsible for charges, fees and damages caused by members of the organization or by anyone attending the event. A $25.00 administrative fee may be added to damage charges. If an organization falsifies reservation information, their reservation privileges will be revoked.
- No reservation will be confirmed until the appropriate account number, deposit, and/or purchase order and authorization are obtained.
- Deposits and prepayment of estimated charges may be required for non-university groups.
- Estimated charges will include equipment, labor, outside rental, taxes, and facility rental costs. Estimates are based upon information provided at the time of your reservation request. Actual charges may differ.
- University groups that are charging a fee for an event, or are being reimbursed for facility use will be charged room rental fees.
- Past due invoices must be paid in full before future events may be held.
- Organizations with outstanding invoices, past 120 days due, will be denied reservation privileges until the invoices have been paid in full and privileges have been reinstated by the director of Student Centers.
- All charges are subject to state and local taxes, if applicable.
Organizations no longer needing use of spaces they have reserved are responsible for canceling their reservations in a timely manner, minimally as indicated under the Event Planning Timeline, in order to allow other groups the opportunity to use our facilities.
- University organizations failing to cancel facility use twice during a semester will lose facility use privileges, and will be responsible for any room rentals and incurred charges, if applicable.
- Non-university organizations or guests failing to cancel space within the timeline as indicated will be responsible for room rentals and any incurred charges. Groups will forfeit all room deposits as well.
- A $25.00 no-show fee is charged to all groups failing to cancel their reservation.
Class Use of Markee Pioneer Student Center
As per the UW-Platteville Implementation Plan for UWS Chapter 21, UW-Platteville classes may only use Markee Pioneer Student Center for special events, such as poster presentations and senior design presentations, not conducted on a regularly scheduled basis within the student center.
Political Campaign Activities
Political campaign involvement is strictly regulated on University of Wisconsin campuses. The University of Wisconsin System provides guidelines on the use of campus resources for Political Campaign Activities including Guidance for UW Employees, Guidance for UW Students and Recognized Student Groups, and Political Activity on Campus. Please note; state law strictly prohibits the use of state-owned buildings for political fundraising.
Markee Hours of Operation
Requests for use of the Markee Pioneer Student Center beyond established hours of operation are made through the Event Reservations at least ten (10) business days in advance. Approval is subject to staff availability. The contact organization will be responsible for additional cost and charges resulting from extended hours use.
All reservations must end fifteen (15) minutes before established hours of operation.
Due to the university’s policy concerning health licensing restrictions, University Dining Services has exclusive rights to provide food service catering for UW-Platteville.
- Student organizations may provide prepackaged food items for meetings and events that have a value of $50 or less in the Markee Pioneer Student Center, with prior approval using the Self-Catering Form on the Dining Services website.
- Further exceptions of University Dining Services policies should be directed to the director of Dining Services.
- The Self Catering policy is available under the Details to Know.
Alcohol Service at Events
Under the authority of the UW System Chapter 18.09(1) and the conditions described in the UW-Platteville General Policies Alcohol Policy, organizations may request to have alcohol service as part of their events in the Markee Pioneer Student Center. The Student Center Alcohol Service at Events policy is available under the Details to Know.
Customers are asked to use the University Box Office services for ticketed events. In some situations, customers will be required to use the University Box Office.
UW-Platteville provides parking on university property and administers the enforcement of parking regulations through the Campus Police Department. In order to provide parking in university parking lots for public events, special arrangements may be made to allow visitors to park in university lots. Arrangements for parking should be requested with Event Reservations when requesting facility use.
Parking along Main Street and Hickory Street, adjacent to Ullsvik Hall, is administered by the city of Platteville and enforced by the Platteville Police Department. In order to provide exclusive parking or to request parking restrictions, such as load zone only, on those streets, for events, arrangements must be made with the city of Platteville.
Depending upon the nature of the event and logistics involved, the Markee Pioneer Student Center may require uniformed security officers to be present and assist in creating a safe and responsible environment for guests to enjoy.
- The contact organizations will be responsible for all costs associated with additional event security, and the costs will be billed to the sponsoring group as part of the event cost.
- Arrangements for event security must be made with Event Reservations during the planning process of the event.
Fund Raising and Solicitation
To insure a welcoming environment for the campus community and guests, fund raising and soliciting are restricted to locations designated by Markee Pioneer Student Center policies.
- Reservations of facility space must be made in advance.
- Distribution, solicitation, or fundraising will not be allowed away from or outside of the designated facility space.
- Fund raising and/or solicitation for donations by student organizations requires advance approval from the Pioneer Involvement Center.
- Additional policies apply; please see contact tables policies.
The Markee Pioneer Student Center reserves the following:
- The right to change room reservations in order to maximize use of our facilities for our customers.
- The right to cancel or alter any reservation that conflicts with the general policy and educational mission of the University of Wisconsin-Platteville.
- The right to deny service to organizations that have violated State of Wisconsin, Board of Regent, UW-Platteville, or Student Center policies, or are not in good standing with the university, until privileges have been reinstated by the director of the Markee Pioneer Student Center.