Grant Submission Timeline and Checklist
The Office of Research and Sponsored Projects (ORSP) can provide assistance with identifying funding opportunities, understanding sponsor or grant guidelines/requirements, budget preparation, arranging subcontracts and other collaborative agreements, and navigating UW-Platteville internal process.
|Initial Consultation with ORSP||6 weeks before the submission deadline|
|Initial Consultation with ITS|
|Budget Review with ORSP||4 weeks before the submission deadline|
|Transmittal form, Conflict of Interest (COI), draft narrative and budget routed to dean/division head for approval||Due to both offices at noon, 10 days before the submission deadline|
|Draft narrative and budget to ORSP- can be an electronic copy|
|Grant submission||3 business days before the submission deadline|
|Final version of grant due to ORSP and college/division office||3 business days after grant submission|
The following checklist is intended to be used as a guide to assist you in the grant submission process:
- Identify extramural funding source
- Obtain program announcement
- Review program guidelines
- Note submission deadline
- Review forms and content specifications, selection criteria, and method of submission.
Investigate Activities Requiring Approval - Mark all that apply to your project and discuss with ORSP as necessary.
- Registration with granting agency: typically, obtaining username and password for electronic submissions
- Release or reassigned time: approval from department chair and dean
- Cost sharing (cash or in-kind): approval from department chair and/or dean
- Space and Facilities: approval from chair and dean
Compliance Review: approval from appropriate oversight unit
- IRB: human subjects
- IACUC: animals welfare
- IBC: bio-safety
- Chemical/physical safety
- RCR: Reserach ethics training- for NSF grants only
- COI: Conflict of Interest- for ALL federal grants with special requirements for Public Health Service (NIH and other agencies- please see the full list) grants
- International travel or partnerships
Technology needs (ITS should be consulted on any projects which will have any technology, component, equipment or access needs.) No exceptions.
NOTE: While some sponsors may require IRB and other approvals prior to proposal submission, most accept applications with approval pending. Review the guidelines/RFP (request for proposals) carefully!
Contact Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
- See timeline above for submissions deadline
- Review program guidelines
- Discuss and develop timeline to complete application
- Provide administrative information and budgetary requirements
Arrange collaboration with another institution and/or collaboration with other units at UW-Platteville. If you are collaborating, please discuss this with ORSP early in your planning process. The following materials may be required:
- Name(s) of collaborator(s)
- Name(s) of collaborator(s) employer(s)
- Name and contact information of the grants officer at collaborator(s) institution (if known)
- Letter of Commitment from each collaborator
- Letter of Support from collaborator’s institution (if required)
- Biographical sketch(es) of collaborator(s)
- Scope of Work to be performed
- Budget agreements
Develop Budget (budget assistance worksheet)
- Make sure all costs are appropriate to the program
- Use current indirect and fringe benefit rates
- Forward draft budget to ORSP for review
Prepare External Documents (Application)
- Work closely with ORSP to complete all necessary forms.
- Restrictions on the number of pages, font size, margin size, and all of the required formatting/forms ARE taken seriously. If these specifications are not adhered to, the proposal can be returned without review.
Prepare Internal Documents
- All required internal documents must be prepared and submitted to ORSP before the application is submitted
- The transmittal form must be signed by the PI, co-PIs, Department Chair, and College Office.
- Conflict of Interest Form must be completed by all PIs and submitted with all federal grant applications
- See deadlines at the top of the checklist for approval and submission timeline. Provide a signed application and transmittal form to ORSP for review and final approval.
After the grant is submitted provide the following to ORSP and your College or Division office within 3 business days
- For print submission, provide a hard copy of all documents to ORSP and College Office.
- For electronic submission, provide an electronic copy of the application to ORSP and College Office via e-mail