Grants are money that does not have to be repaid (provided that the enrollment period is completed). They are typically need-based and provided by federal, state or private sources. You must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to be considered for all federal and state grants, unless otherwise stated.


Loans are financial assistance that must be repaid. There are education loans available through the federal government and through private lenders. Each loan program has specific eligibility criteria, repayment, cancellation and deferment conditions. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be completed to be considered for all federal education loans.

Return of Funds

In an effort to keep the financial aid refund process simple and straightforward, UW-Platteville, UW-Platteville Baraboo Sauk County, and UW-Platteville Richland has partnered with BankMobile to deliver refunds. You'll can review the Refund of Funds policy.

Federal Work Study

Federal Work Study is a federally funded, need-based program, which gives you the opportunity to work on or off-campus part-time. You can earn money to supplement your education while gaining meaningful work experience. You will need to obtain a job that is work-study eligible. Keep in mind that the funds will never disburse towards your bill, you will earn the funds by working and receiving a paycheck.