What is my address?

Room # Bridgeway Commons
1200 Southwest Road
Platteville, WI 53818

Room # Cooper Living Learning Center
29510 College Farm Road
Platteville, WI 53818

Room # Brockert Hall
1455 Circle Drive
Platteville WI 538l8-3098

Room # Dobson Hall
1200 Greenwood Avenue
Platteville, WI 538l8-3097

Room # Hugunin Hall
1355 Circle Drive
Platteville, WI 538l8-3096

Room # McGregor Hall
1000 Greenwood Avenue
Platteville, WI 538l8-3095

Room # Melcher Hall
50 S. College Drive
Platteville, WI 538l8-3094

Room # Morrow Hall
1300 Greenwood Avenue
Platteville, WI 538l8-3093

Room # Pickard Hall
1555 Circle Drive
Platteville, WI 538l8-3092

Room # Porter Hall
60 S College Drive
Platteville, WI 538l8-3091

Room# Rountree Commons
800 S Chestnut St.
Platteville, WI 53818

Room # Southwest Hall
1100 Southwest Road
Platteville, WI 53818-3354

Room # Wilgus Hall
1100 Greenwood Avenue
Platteville, WI 538l8-3090

How do I connect my computer to the network?

Please visit the ResNet website for current requirements and information. A computer lab is provided in each residence hall for the convenience of our residents. Each lab houses 3-5 PCs connected to the internet and a laser printer located at the hall's main desk.

What do I need to bring for check-in?

  • A print out of your housing assignment space
  • Photo identification
  • Money for hall activity pass (optional, but required to use most items at the front desk)
  • Completed Personal Data Form available on Residence Life web page; Quick Links, Move In/Out.

What items should I bring for my room?

    •    Toiletries
    •    Towels/washcloths
    •    Twin X-Long Bedding (Residence Life provides a mattress)
    •    HE Laundry Detergent
    •    Laundry basket/bag
    •    Alarm Clock
    •    Flashlight   
    •    Items to decorate your room
    •    Photos
    •    Paper Towels
    •    Toilet paper (if you live in the suite-style halls)
    •    Facial Tissue
    •    Food
    •    Radio
    •    Television
    •    Chargers and surge protectors/power strips
    •    School supplies you may need (pens, notebooks, binders, etc.)

What items should I not bring to UW-Platteville?

  • Candles
  • Toasters
  • Space heaters
  • Ceiling fans (even if attached to bunk)
  • Halogen lights
  • Pizza oven
  • Firearms/weapons (besides the obvious, this includes, slingshots, bb guns, decorative swords, switchblades, paintball guns, and airsoft guns.  Please contact University Police if you wish to utilize our on-campus weapon storage.
  • Pets (other than fish)
  • Hoverboard
  • Personal Lofts

Do I have to live in a residence hall?

University of Wisconsin System Board of Regent policy states that all freshman and sophomore students must live in university residence halls unless they meet established criteria for exemption.  Exceptions to this requirement are authorized for the following reasons:

  • Students who commute daily from the home of their parent / legal guardian and they live 50 miles away or more
  • Students who are a veteran (documentation needs to be provided)
  • Students who have been out of high school for at least two years
  • Students who have a child (please provide copy of birth certificate)
  • Students who are married

Other circumstances may be considered, but students must submit documentation in addition to completing the Request for Exemption form provided by the Department of Residence Life.  Students are not released from the requirement until they receive written authorization.

When do the halls open for the fall semester?

Fall 2017 Move-In begins 8:00 a.m., Saturday, September 2 for incoming students (new freshmen/transfer students).  Returning students being moved in on Sunday, September 3.

When do the halls close during the academic year?

The traditional style residence halls close between the Fall and Spring semesters and again over Spring Break. Rooms may not be occupied at these times, however, you may leave your personal belongings in your room during these vacation periods. Contact the Department of Residence Life if you have questions regarding possible alternate arrangements during those times. Suite-style halls of Southwest Hall, Rountree Commons, Bridgeway Commons, and Cooper Living Learning Center will remain open during break periods.  Southwest Hall is open during the summer sessions.

When do the halls close for the fall and spring semesters?

Our traditional style residence halls close at the end of the fall semester and again during Spring Break. No one may remain in the traditional halls during these periods, however; you may leave your personal belongings in the room. It is the student’s responsibility to locate alternate housing during these vacation periods. Our suite-style residential buildings; Bridgeway Commons, Rountree Commons, Southwest Hall, and Cooper Living and Learning Center remain open to their residents during break periods. A particular suite-style living option is typically designated for summer occupancy.

Fall 2017
The halls close for semester break 6 pm, Friday, December 22.  Residents needing to stay beyond 6:00 p.m. must contact their resident director.  No one may remain in the traditional halls after 9:00 a.m., Saturday, December 23, 2017.

Spring 2018
All halls close for the end of the academic year at 6:00 p.m., Friday, May 18, 2018.  Residents who do not complete a proper check-out with a hall staff member by 6:00 p.m. must contact their resident director

Is my personal property insured?

The university takes precautions to help residents protect their individual possessions. However, situations do occur when belongings disappear or become damaged. As the University cannot accept liability for this type of loss, we strongly urge that you determine if you are covered by your parents' insurance or invest in adequate personal property insurance or renter's insurance if necessary.

Is it possible to change my room and/or hall?

Yes, if you wish to change your location for any reason, you may do so by contacting the resident director regarding the specific arrangements. Changes will be allowed contingent upon available space. Room changes may not begin prior to approximately 14 days after the start of the semester. Please note that your Internet/Network connection is automatically activated in your new room. If you have questions regarding your internet/network connection as you move, please contact ITS Help Desk (608.342.1400). Room changes made at the end of the fall semester will be processed over winter break.

Should I contact my roommate before arriving to campus?

We encourage all roommates to contact each other before moving into their residence hall space.  We provide their email address in your room assignment email.

The Residence Hall Association has compiled a list of 11 questions that will help you get to know your new roommate better and to help break the ice.
  • What do you plan to bring to campus that wouldn't need to be duplicated? (futon, TV, DVD player, stereo, gaming system etc.)
  • What time do you like to go to sleep?
  • What time do you like to wake up?
  • What do you own that would be ok for me to borrow?
  • How do you want messages to be taken when you are not home?
  • Can you study with... the door open? The stereo or TV on?
  • How often will you have friends come to visit?
  • How do you feel about me having guests?
  • Why did you choose to go to UW-Platteville?
  • How will the room "chores" be split?
  • How do you plan to communicate all your thoughts on the above with your roommate?

Who are the staff of the residence hall?

Each residence hall is staffed by a resident director, a full-time professional staff member. The hall is also staffed by a Senior Assistant and a team of Resident Assistants who are undergraduate student staff. For a list of the staff members in your residence hall, check out the residence hall page specific to your building.

What is a resident director?

Each hall has a resident director (RD) who is a full-time professional staff member who lives in the building. The office for the resident director can be found off the main lobby in each building. The resident director has had previous staff experience and is provided with ongoing training. Many of the RD's daily responsibilities deal with the general management and operation of the hall as well as interpersonal areas such as advising and counseling individuals and groups. Specifically, each RD is responsible for training and selecting the resident assistant staff, handling discipline, making referrals, and establishing an environment conducive to academic and personal development.

What is a senior assistant?

The senior assistant (SA) has the primary responsibility to serve as an overall support in the day to day operation of the residence hall under the supervision of the Resident Director. The SA is a student who has previously been employed as a resident assistant and has been selected to serve in this role based on their leadership and organizational skills as well as their previous performance.

What is a resident assistant?

The resident assistant (RA), typically an undergraduate student, lives right on your wing. The RAs major focus is to aid residents in their adjustment to university life. As a member of the Residence Life staff, the RA is responsible for informing you of university resources and programs, working with various aspects of hall government, offering and receiving personal feedback, developing an educational atmosphere, encouraging involvement (wing, hall, and university functions), and dealing with personal and disciplinary concerns. Most important, the RA's work to develop community--where each student can develop a sense of identity, find growth experiences, and feel a sense of responsibility toward others.

May I have visitors?

Visitation in the residence halls is defined as the privilege of individual students to entertain guests of the opposite gender in their rooms and designated hall areas. Current policy allows a maximum of 24 hours of visitation a day as determined by a vote on each wing or floor.

May I have overnight guests?

The Residence Hall Association, the representative group for all residence hall students, has worked diligently to create an overnight guest policy that stresses each individual's right to privacy and the right to decide if guests are allowed and under what circumstances. On nights that precede class days, overnight guests of the same gender as the resident host are allowed, if the roommate agrees and the roommate agrees to the specific date(s) for the guest. On Thursday and nights that do not precede class days (typically Friday and Saturday nights) the overnight guest policy allows either a male or female guest with the permission of the roommate and the agreement of the roommate for the specific date(s) for the guest. All overnight guests must be registered at the main desk and must comply with university rules and regulations. The resident is responsible for the actions of his/her guest. A complete overnight guest policy and accompanying roommate agreement form are distributed to each residence hall student at the beginning of the year.

May I loft my bed?

Yes. At the University of Wisconsin-Platteville, we allow our residents the option of lofting the bed in their room. A resident may utilize the popular loft rental program offered through the University of Wisconsin-Platteville chapter of NRHH. You may find out more information about lofts here.  The use of homemade personal lofts is prohibited.

What does it cost to live in the residence halls?

The 2018-19 fees for living on campus are:
Traditional Room (double occupancy) - $1,985 per person per semester or $3,970 per year.
Renewed Traditional (Melcher Hall and Porter Hall) - $2,190 per person per semester or $4380 per year.
Cooper Living Learning Center (Agriculture Living Learning Community) - $1,985 per person per semester or $3,970 per year.
Elevated Traditional (Dobson Hall) - $2,245 per person per semester or $4,490 per year.
Rountree Commons (semi-suite style) - $2,769 per person per semester or $5,538 per year.
Bridgeway Commons (semi-suite style) - $2,811 per person per semester or $5,622 per year.
Southwest Hall (suite style) - $2893 per person per semester or $5,786 per year

Prices are subject to Board of Regents approval in July, 2018.

What are the activity fees?

These memberships are optional for residents to purchase, although a majority of our residents have these memberships. You may purchase them when you arrive or throughout the year at the Hall Desk. With this membership, residents are allowed to check out items at the front desk including cooking utensils, sports equipment, tools, games, etc. Without the purchase of the activity membership the items available to the resident to check out are limited to the vacuum cleaner. The activity membership is the main source of fundraising for our residence halls and is used to provide programming as well as to purchase new items to be available to our activity card members. Activity fees are $8 per semester or $15 for the entire school year.