From the Director
This email was sent to all on-campus residents on January 29, 2018.
Hello residence hall students!
I hope that your spring semester at UW-Platteville is off to a great start! The purpose of this email is to provide important information regarding your housing for 2018-19. YOU are RESPONSIBLE for reading and understanding the content of this email. Please note that our room sign up process for 2018-19 will begin online February 12, 2018 based on your credits earned, and desire to stay in your same room or switch to a different residence hall. You will be receiving information in your mailbox later this week along with information posted on our Room Reservations web page. Pay special attention to the “Frequently Asked Questions” to answer some of your questions regarding the 2018-19 room reservation process. Please also look for posters in your hall and information on our UW-Platteville Residence Life Facebook page.
Here are the highlights of this email:
• The UW-System Freshmen and Sophomore Residency Requirement is, and will continue to be, enforced for this year and years to follow.
• Room sign up begins on February 12, 2018. You are responsible for reading appropriate materials and asking questions.
• Once a contract is submitted on-line, students will not be able to cancel for any reason.
• A limited number of traditional hall single spaces (excluding Dobson) are available for 2018-19
Please read on.
University of Wisconsin Board of Regents policy states that all freshman and sophomore students must live in university residence halls unless they meet established criteria for exemption. Exceptions to this requirement are authorized, with appropriate completion of paperwork, for the following reasons:
• Students who commute daily from the home of their parent/legal guardian within a 50 mile radius
• Students who are 21 years of age or older
• Students who have been out of high school for at least two years
• Students who have 60 or more credits taken at the university, after high school.
• Students who are married
Students must submit documentation before room sign up, in addition to completing the Request for Exemption form provided by the Department of Residence Life. Students are not released from the requirement unless they receive written authorization from me, the Director of Student Life and Development.
Students seeking medical accommodations for their residence hall space need to submit the Medical Accommodations form. The Medical Accommodations Team reviews submitted documentation as needed. Please complete this form and return to the Department of Residence Life with appropriate documentation for review. A staff member of the Department of Residence Life will be in communication with students regarding accommodation requests.
Please note that students will be held to this requirement through this year and beyond, and should not proceed to make plans with others to live off campus or sign leases, etc. We do not want students having to pay double rental rates for a residence hall room and an off campus living space. You will be held to the residency requirement and residence hall contract, and will be billed for a residence hall space accordingly - regardless of any plans you make without the approval of the Department of Residence Life at UW-Platteville. An exception will not be made because you have already signed a lease to live off campus.
We will be checking your status during room reservation time to see if you are in compliance with the UW Board of Regents Residency Requirement. A hold will be placed on your student account if you are not in compliance, and you will not be able to register for fall 2018 classes until you reserve a residence hall space.
The following reasons (not all inclusive) are common issues presented in previous years as extreme circumstances and will not be considered for exemption from the residency requirement:
• Financial concerns
• Roommate issues
• Dissatisfaction with hall environment
• Health concerns that can be accommodated in other residence hall options
• All residence hall contracts are full academic year contracts.
• Once a contract is electronically submitted, and $150 prepayment is paid, it is legally binding.
• No cancellations of contracts will be permitted unless you are no longer attending UW-Platteville.
• Students participating in a university sponsored program (education abroad, co-op, internship, and student teaching) or active military service for the spring semester of 2019 will not be held to their contract. We will be confirming your involvement to ensure compliance.
During selection process, there will be a limited number of traditional hall single rooms (with the exception of Dobson Hall) offered by the department. These will be available at a first-come, first-served capacity. Please see the Traditional Hall Single Room Sign Up Instructions available on our website for more information.
Please be watching your email, mailbox, Residence Life web page, Residence Life Facebook page, and posters in your hall for more information regarding room sign-up and securing a space for next year. It is your responsibility to read all information presented to you so you know how to proceed.
The contract windows are as follows:
• February 12-14: Same room sign-up (except for Southwest which has already begun their processes).
• February 15-18: Students with greater than or equal to 60 post high school credits begin sign up. Sign up for Single Traditional Hall Rooms (exception of Dobson) begins.
• February 19-21: Students with 30-59 post high school credits begin sign up.
• February 22-25: Students with 15-29 post high school credits begin sign up.
• February 26: Returning students who have fewer than 15 post high school credits begin sign up.
Please do not respond to this email as it is intended for information purposes only. Questions can be directed to your resident assistant or resident director. Thank you.
Director of Student Life & Development
University of Wisconsin-Platteville
Department of Residence Life