The Off-Campus Connection is a newsletter designed to keep you connected to campus and the community. It contains information on upcoming events around campus and the city, tenant rights and safety tips, advice to enhance the off-campus experience of all students and more. Check out some past newsletters below! Feel free to submit any topics/questions you would like to see covered in future editions.
The City of Platteville and UW-Platteville campus continue to be a target for rental scams, with college students frequently being targeted. Please follow these simple common-sense rules to avoid being a victim:
When Subletting or looking for a Roommate:
- Deal locally with people you can meet in person.
- DO NOT rent to someone who wants to take the apartment without viewing it in person first.
- Check references - Do a Google search on the person's name and email
- Always obtain payment before the subtenant moves in. If they ask to pay rent after they move in -THIS IS A SCAM!!
- Refuse Over-Payment
- Fake cashier checks and money orders are common. Banks will cash them and then hold you responsible when the fraud is discovered weeks later.
- Never give out financial information.
Looking for Housing:
- Always view the rental before signing a lease.
- Google person's name and email to check for past scams.
- Surest Sign Of A SCAM is when the lister asks for money upfront!!! IF someone asks for this - walk away!
- NEVER wire money - this is the same as sending cash, once you send it, you have no way to get it back.
Please click here for more information on Rental Scams.
Click here for EXAMPLES OF FREQUENT SCAM EMAILS.