CSS to Hide Title
LIVING OFF CAMPUS
As a UW-Platteville student, your first concern is to meet the qualifications necessary to live off campus. University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents policy states that all freshman and sophomore students must live in university residence halls unless they meet established criteria for exemption. Click HERE for full policy.
STUDENTS ARE NOT RELEASED FROM THIS RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT UNLESS THEY RECEIVE WRITTEN AUTHORIZATION FROM THE DIRECTOR OF RESIDENCE LIFE.
As part of Enrollment and Student Success at UW-Platteville, the Office of Rental Resources assists students with off-campus housing related concerns and needs. Our office strives to educate students in leases, rights and responsibilities while renting, roommate communication and much more.
Students who use our services say they are better prepared to move off campus and more knowledgeable in their housing search. The place you live will be a big part of your UW-Platteville experience. Let us make it easier for you to find your perfect home!
- Learn about different types of Leases (download the Lease Signing Checklist)
- See a sample Roommate Agreement
- Download the Apartment Comparison Grid
- Move In/Move Out tips and forms
- Know your rights as a Tenant
- Get more helpful information ...
Search for a place to live - view a current list of off-campus rental properties; Roommate and Sublease listings.
ANNUAL STUDENT HOUSING FAIR
The Office of Rental Resources sponsors a Housing Fair held each Fall. Our fair is the easiest and most convenient way for students to start their housing search and collect a variety of information on available properties and services. If you are not sure where you’re living next semester or next year, or if you just want to learn more about preparing to move off campus you do not want to miss this event! The Housing Fair is not a place for students to go to sign leases or feel any pressure to do so. Rather, it is an opportunity to ask questions, find out information and learn more about local options. The Fair is Free for Students and no appointments are necessary!
The City of Platteville and UW-Platteville students continue to be a target for rental scams. Follow these simple common-sense rules to avoid being a victim:
When Subletting or looking for a Roommate:
- Deal locally with people you can meet in person.
- DO NOT rent to someone who wants to take the apartment without viewing it in person first.
- Check references - Do a Google search on the person's name and email
- Always obtain payment before the subtenant moves in. If they ask to pay rent after they move in -THIS IS A SCAM!!
- Refuse Over-Payment
- Fake cashier checks and money orders are common. Banks will cash them and then hold you responsible when the fraud is discovered weeks later.
- Never give out financial information.
Looking for Housing:
- Always view the rental before signing a lease.
- Google person's name and email to check for past scams.
- Surest Sign Of A SCAM is when the lister asks for money upfront!!! IF someone asks for this - walk away!
- NEVER wire money - this is the same as sending cash, once you send it, you have no way to get it back.
Please click here for more information on Rental Scams.