The University of Wisconsin-Platteville offers this unique opportunity to all high school students, including graduating seniors.
If you are interested in chemistry or pre-professional (pre-med, pre-vet, pre-dental) studies, but want to know about the career paths available and explore technical applications, join us for a week-long chemistry immersion program that will expose you to the excitement of chemistry research.
Successful completion of the Chemistry Summer Research Program earns you one college credit for UW-Platteville’s Introductory Chemistry (CHEM-1110) course.
You will learn the basic ideas and fundamental insights of chemistry research that have allowed chemistry to play a central role in creating our modern world. You will develop the skills needed to be successful in a chemistry research laboratory, practicing hands-on lab techniques and instrumentation that reinforce and deepen your understanding of concepts.
Activities will involve cutting-edge research projects conducted by UW-Platteville faculty and undergraduate students. You will experience periodic spotlight sessions that will focus on a technological advance driven by chemistry.
You will also be instructed by chemistry faculty, in both lecture and laboratory settings, and carry out one-on-one activities with current UW-Platteville chemistry majors. These students will be your mentors throughout the week, providing you with opportunities to ask questions and learn more about college life at UW-Platteville.
You must complete all assignments and attend all sessions to have the chance to earn credit. Transfer credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution.
Location and Cost
Registration cost includes instruction by university faculty, counseling services, t-shirt, and instruction materials.
- Commuter cost: $665, includes all of the above plus lunch and dinner, starting on Sunday evening through Thursday, and evening activities.
- Residential cost: $795 and includes all of the above plus all meals, starting on Sunday evening through Friday morning and overnight accommodations.
Scholarships may be available based on academic excellence and financial need. Contact the Chemistry Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 608.342.1498 to find out more.
This program is available to all high school students and graduating seniors. Preference will be given to students who have taken high school chemistry or math.
- Complete the registration form
- Complete and return the Health and Consent form and the CHEM-1110 Registrar form.
- Pay all fees associated for the program.
- Have an official high school transcript sent from the issuing institution. If you are a home-schooled student, you will need to provide an official transcript from any school(s) attended and a transcript of the courses taken at home, and grades signed by the individual providing the education to verify the curriculum.
- All forms and payment should be sent to the Continuing Education Institute at email@example.com or mailed to:
Continuing Education Institute
University of Wisconsin-Platteville
1 University Plaza
Platteville, WI 53818
If you have any questions or concerns with the registration process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 608.342.1314.
If you have a disability and would like to request accommodations, please contact us at email@example.com at least two weeks prior to the start of the program.