The “Snow Emergency for Parking” ordinance affects anyone who parks a motor vehicle between Nov. 15 and April 1 in university parking lots and on the following UW-Platteville streets:
- University Plaza
- Greenwood Avenue between Longhorn Drive and the west end
- College Drive from Greenwood Avenue to Sunset Drive
When Snow Emergency for Parking (SEP) is declared, vehicles must be parked according to the information provided by the Office of Residence Life:
- A Side= South and East sides of street
- Cemetery side of Greenwood Avenue, Wilgus Hall side of College Drive, Royce Hall side of University Plaza
- B Side= North and West sides of street
- Residence Hall side of Greenwood Avenue, Melcher Hall side of College Drive, apartment side of University Plaza
A Snow Emergency for Parking decision will be made by no later than 3 p.m. for the parking restriction to go into effect at 2 a.m. on the following date.
SEP will occur for a minimum TWO DAY PERIOD, so that both sides of the street get plowed. A longer period of removal may be designated if more time is required to adequately clear the streets.
SEP - Citations and Violations
The University Police Department will issue parking citations for any vehicle parked in violation of the SEP rules. The citation amount for ANY parking violation during a snow emergency is $50. If you drive/own/use a vehicle, it is your responsibility to find out if a SEP has been declared and follow the instructions.
- All stalls within commuter and staff lots and on Circle Drive are restricted to NO PARKING between 2–6 a.m., all year long. Anyone who violates this restriction during a snow declaration will be issued a $50 snow removal parking citation.
- Vehicles on the street will receive a $150 citation and be towed. The citation amount includes the SEP violation amount and the added towing fee.
- No parking between 2–6 a.m. in any metered stalls during a declared snow emergency, including those by Rountree Commons, by Southwest Hall, on Circle Drive, and on University Plaza. Vehicles parked in a metered stall between 2–6 a.m., even if the meter is paid, will be issued a $50 snow removal parking citation.
- Vehicles parked in violation of the SEP may also be towed. The towing charge to move a vehicle from a declared SEP lot is $100 and will be passed onto the violator in the citation total. Towed vehicles will be taken to another university lot.
Where can you park during a SEP? Options include:
- On the correct side of the street (side not scheduled to be plowed).
- If you possess a residence hall permit—in any residence hall lot (this includes the residence hall lot by the Heating Plant, large lot across from Southwest Hall, 3 tiered lot, etc.)
- On a valid city street (alternate side parking is enforced every night from Nov. 15 – April 1). Contact the City of Platteville Police Department at 608-348-2313 to find out the proper parking procedures for city streets.
Additional information can be obtained from the Office of Residence Life.