Licensure Programs

All teacher certification programs within the state of Wisconsin must be approved by the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction. Upon successful completion of your program and appropriate content area tests, you will be endorsed or recommended for licensure to teach in Wisconsin (or any other state).

To become licensed you will need to file an application for a teaching license in Wisconsin or another state where you might be employed. You must meet the following requirements to be recommended for a teacher’s license:

  • Earn a cumulative GPA of 2.75, not including student teaching/internship. A 3.0 is required in professional education, elementary core, and minor for early childhood-middle childhood students. A GPA of 3.0 is required in professional education and elementary core for middle childhood-early adolescence.
  • Grades of a "C-" or better in all required professional education and content courses.
  • Pass the appropriate Praxis Subject Assessment (Praxis II) content(s) and the Wisconsin Foundations of Reading test for the elementary early childhood-middle childhood and middle childhood-early adolescence programs.
  • Submit an edTPA portfolio to Pearson for scoring.

To apply for a license in another state, you should contact the State Superintendent of Education in that state to request a license or follow the directions here.

All completed applications should be submitted to the School of Education Office in 139 Doudna Hall, since verification of program completion is required and the certification officer’s endorsement is needed. External licensing and assessment fees are not including in tuition.

Licensure Programs

Cross-Categorical Special Education
Educational Administration
English as a Second Language
Reading Specialist
Reading Teacher
Teacher of the Visually Impaired

Request Program Information

Visit Campus

Footer Anchor