Section: ISSS

J-2 Dependents

The M in Platteville, Wisconsin

Information for Spouses and Children of J-1 Visa Holders

J-1 Professors wishing to bring their spouse and/or children with them to UW-Platteville must request to add them as a dependent in SEVIS before they can apply for a J-2 visa.

To apply for dependent DS-2019 forms for spouses and/or children of J-1 professors at UW-Platteville, please complete and submit the following for each dependent:

  • J-2 Dependent Application Form
  • Financial verification form      
  • Financial Documentation (i.e. bank statement showing funding for )
  • Passport identity page           
  • Verification of relationship (birth certificate or marriage license, translated to English)

Who is eligible for J-2 Status?

The spouse and unmarried minor children (under 21 years of age) of the J-1 Exchange Visitor are eligible for J-2 dependent status. A J-1 Exchange Visitor at Penn can be either a “student” or “scholar”.

How can I become a J-2 Dependent?

Each J-2 dependent must have his/her own Form DS-2019.  This DS-2019 Form can be obtained from International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) by the J-1 status holder. Once the dependent has the DS-2019 Form, he/she must either: 1) Apply for an J-2 visa stamp at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate overseas (except Canadian citizens) and gain J-2 status through entry to the United States by presenting their dependent DS-2019 Form, passport and J-2 visa stamp (accompanied by any supporting documents) at the U.S. Port of Entry, OR 2) Apply for a Change of Status within the U.S. (please meet with the ISSS advisor for further details).

Employment while in J-2 Status

J-2 dependents are eligible to apply for employment authorization from the USCIS as long as the employment is not for the purpose of supporting the J-1.

Study while in J-2 Status

J-2 children are permitted to enroll in elementary or secondary schools while in the U.S. Currently, the regulations do not have a prohibition for J-2s engaging in post-secondary study on a full-time basis, as long as their primary purpose in the U.S. is to accompany the J-1 status holder.

Travel and Reentry in J-2 Status

J-2 dependents follow similar travel and reentry procedures as the J-1 status holder, including having a valid travel signature on their DS-2019 before traveling outside the U.S. J-2 dependents should carry copies of the J-1’s most recent immigration documents if traveling separately.

Grace Period

J-1 and J-2 program participants have a 30 day grace period beyond the ending of the J-1 scholar's research program. During the grace period, it is appropriate to travel around the U.S., make travel arrangements, pack belongings, but work is not permitted during that period. There is no possible extension of the grace period.

Health Insurance Requirements

Unlike any other immigration categories, the Department of State (DOS) federally mandates all J-1 and J-2 status holders to carry adequate health insurance coverage. The J-1 student or professor must purchase insurance for him/herself and his/her J-2 dependents through UW-Platteville’s health insurance provider (Rust Associates) immediately upon arrival in the U.S.
Note: Failure to secure or maintain adequate health insurance for both J-1 and J-2 visa holders will result in termination of the J-1 program participation.

Contact Us

Contact Us

International Student and Scholar Services Office
University of Wisconsin-Platteville
1 University Plaza
Royce Hall
Platteville, WI 53818


Phone: +1.608.342.1726

Footer Anchor