NUFS Visa Information

Yasaka Shrine, Nagasaki

A student visa is required for all students intending to study in Japan. 

A visa is an official document affixed in a U.S. Passport by the Japanese Consulate General granting students permission to live and study in Japan for the duration that the visa is valid.  Entry into Japan must take place within three months of obtaining the student visa, so students cannot apply for it more than three months prior to their departure.  As of January 2013, there is no fee to apply for a Japanese student visa.

As part of students' applications to study at the Nagasaki University of Foreign Studies, UW-Platteville Education Abroad requires that students complete all of the necessary paperwork to apply for a Japanese student visa.  Once accepted, the NUFS International Office will apply for students' visas on their behalf. 

Students will be given additional information and instructions upon application, but for the most up to date information on the Japanese student visa process and procedures, please visit the Japan Information and Culture Center's website:

Footer Anchor