St Mary's University Twickenham, London Visa Information

London Bridge
Big Ben, London

The United Kingdom (UK) is frequently updating visa regulations and procedures, so it is important to consult their website (below) to obtain the most current information.  As of January 2013, there are two ways in which U.S. study abroad students can enter the UK:

Student Visitor

Students can enter as a Student Visitor upon arrival in the UK and are allowed to study for a maximum of six months so long as they are not interning or working.  Applying for extensions while studying in the UK will not be possible, so if a student is undecided about studying for an entire academic year, it is recommended that they apply for the Tier 4 Student Visa/Prior Entry Clearance.

All students will be required to provide the immigration letter from St Mary's University Twickenham, London each time they enter the UK which will be provided by UW-Platteville Education Abroad prior to departure.

Tier 4 Student Visa/Prior Entry Clearance

Students who wish to pursue an internship or employment in the UK or may consider extending their length of study to six months or more need to obtain the Tier 4 Student Visa/Entry Clearance.  A visa is an official document affixed in a U.S. Passport by the UK Consulate General granting permission to live and study in the UK for the duration that the visa is valid.  As of January 2013, there is no fee to apply for an UK student visa. 

For the most up to date information on the UK visa process and procedures, please visit:

Footer Anchor