Climate Response of Treeline Bristlecone Pine
Dr. Evan Larson was invited to participate in research on growth response of ancient bristlecone pine (Pinus longaeva) at upper- and lower-treeline conducted by Dr. Matt Salzer and Dr. Malcolm Hughes of the Laboratory of Tree-Ring Research and Dr. Andy Bunn of Western Washington University. This work included the development of a new collection of a pinyon pine (Pinus monophylla) chronology that formed the basis of Tom Wilding's MS thesis, as well as the collection of cores from foxtail pine (Pinus balforiana) that lead to additional research. The work conducted by TREES Lab students included analysis of pinyon pine and foxtail pine cores.
Funding source: National Science Foundation Paleo Perspectives on Climate Change (P2C2) Program (Grants ATM-090227 and ATM-1203749) awarded to Matt Salzer and colleagues, Laboratory of Tree-Ring Research, University of Arizona
- Salzer, M.W., Larson, E.R., Bunn, A.G., and Hughes, M.K. 2014. Climate response in near-treeline bristlecone pine. Environmental Research Letters 9:114007.
- Evan R. Larson and Matthew W. Salzer. 2015. Climate response and chronology characteristics of foxtail pine vary over short distances from tree line. Annual Meeting of the Association of American Geographers, April 20–25, Chicago, Illinois.
- Andrew G. Bunn, Matthew W. Salzer, Evan R. Larson, Stuart B. Weiss, Malcolm K. Hughes. 2014. The role of microtopography in explaining abrupt growth thresholds of Bristlecone Pine in the White Mountains of California, USA. American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, December 15–19, San Francisco, California.
- Andrew G. Bunn, Matthew W. Salzer, Evan R. Larson, Stuart Weiss, Malcolm K. Hughes. 2014. Thresholds in growth of bristlecone pine with small changes in elevation in the White Mountains of California, USA. MTNCLIM 2014: Mountain Climate Research Conference, September 15–18, Midway, Utah.
- Malcolm K. Hughes, Matthew W. Salzer, Andy G. Bunn, and Evan R. Larson. 2014. Spatio-temporal variations in tree-ring/climate links in millennia-long bristlecone pine chronologies. 9th International Conference on Dendrochronology, January 13–17, Melbourne, Australia.
- Thomas Wilding, Evan R. Larson, and Matthew Salzer. 2013. Refining climatic interpretations of lower forest border bristlecone pine tree-ring chronologies over recent millennia. Second American Dendrochronology Conference, May 13–17, Laboratory of Tree-Ring Research, University of Arizona, Tucson.
- Evan R. Larson, Thomas Wilding, and Matthew Salzer. 2012. Refining climatic interpretations of lower forest border bristlecone pine tree-ring chronologies over recent millennia. American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, December 3–7, San Francisco, California.