Applications are due by February 1, 2020 at 5 p.m. CST.
Admitted new freshman students are invited to apply for New Freshman URSCA Scholarships. These competitive $1,000 scholarships are awarded to students interested in exploring an area of academic interest in greater depth outside of their regular classes. The scholarships are for a student's first year only and are paid out in $500 increments at the beginning of the fall and spring semesters. Through regular weekly contact with faculty mentors and other, more experienced students working in that area, recipients will have the opportunity to begin pursuing their scholarly interests in their first year at UW-Platteville. Recipients will be expected to present their accomplishments on campus by the end of their first year.
Applicants need to first complete the general scholarship application before completing the supplementary New Freshman URSCA application below.
Students selected for the URSCA scholarship will have the opportunity to work in one of the areas below. Applicants will have to rank the areas from the most interesting to the least:
- Biotechnology to control plant diseases (Agriculture)
- Dairy goats (feeding, management and/or productivity (Agriculture)
- Developing novel strains of microbes to boost crop growth (Agriculture)
- Effect of crop management practices on soil microbes (Agriculture)
- Genetic analyses of legume-rhizobia symbiosis (Agriculture)
- Sustainable plant disease management strategies (Agriculture)
- Amphibian and reptile biology (Biology)
- Reptile physiology and behavior (Biology, Baraboo Sauk County campus only)
- Customer behavior related to emerging technology (Business)
- Bicycling and walking research (Civil Engineering)
- Concrete durability and sustainability (Civil Engineering)
- Computer networks (wired and wireless) (Electrical & Computer Engineering)
- Carbon nanotube electronics (Engineering Physics)
- Engineering geologic materials for env. protection (Environmental Engineering)
- Environmental science and conservation (Geography)
- Additive manufacturing or 3D printing (Mechanical Engineering)
- Using plastic bottles to create sustainable devices (Mechanical Engineering)
- Dating and documenting textile museum collections (Theatre)
Applicants are strongly encouraged to develop responses to the following three essay questions prior to beginning the New Freshman URSCA Scholarship web application and then copy and paste the responses into the appropriate field.
- Please describe why you selected the topic (or topics) of most interest. What interests you in those areas and/or what specific research questions might you be interested in exploring? Please limit your responses to no more than 200 words.
- Research and other scholarly activity requires persistence in order to be successful. Please describe a time where you had to persist and overcome a significant challenge as it relates to academics. Please limit your response to no more than 200 words.
- What are your career goals? How do you see the work you might do in your first year with a faculty mentor contributing to your future success? Please limit your response to no more than 200 words.