CSS to Hide Title
AUDITION DATES For Fall 2019
Friday, February 15, 2019 (Tri-State Honors Band)
Sunday, March 2, 2019
Saturday, March 10, 2019
WHO SHOULD AUDITION?
- High school students (incoming freshmen) who plan to major or minor in music, or who plan to participate in musical ensembles (such as choir, band, jazz band, orchestra, or musical theatre).
- Students who will be transferring to UW-Platteville from another college or university who will major in music or participate in musical ensembles.
- Winds and Brass: Two contrasting solos, etudes, or movements, either from the same work or from different works.
- Vocalists: Prepare two songs in contrasting styles and tempi, one in a foreign language, and one in English. One must be in the Classical style, and one may be from musical theatre. Memorization of both selections is expected.
Required audition areas (must do both)
- Keyboard Percussion: A solo on marimba, vibraphone, or xylophone. The solo may be for two or four mallets.
- Snare Drum: Repertoire chosen should demonstrate concert and rudimentary style.
Choice Areas (choose one or more)
- Timpani: A solo for two, three, or four drums. Excerpts from the standard orchestral repertoire would also be acceptable.
- Multiple Percussion: A solo on any combination of percussion instruments.
- Drum Set: A prepared solo and/or improvisation in a variety of styles.
Solo repertoire may be selected from the student's state solo and ensemble list, or a work of equal difficulty. All equipment that auditioning students may need will be provided; however, students who prefer to bring personal instruments may do so. Students are expected to bring any sticks or mallets needed for the audition. Scholarship applicants are encouraged to audition in three areas (i.e. keyboard, snare, and one of the choice areas).
- Accompanists: If you cannot bring your own, we will provide you with one for a nominal fee. See application for more details.
- Note: Students unable to appear for an audition and residing more than 100 miles from Platteville may submit an unedited, high-quality recording. Sound files may be emailed directly to Dr. Corey Mackey, Chair of Scholarship Committee, email@example.com.
All who audition will be considered for a scholarship award. Scholarship offers will be conditional on acceptance to the University, but students may audition for acceptance into a music major or minor program prior to notification of admittance to the University. Students will be notified of scholarship and acceptance status as soon as possible, but no later than May 1, 2019. Scholarships will be granted on the basis of:
- Performing ability and merit
- Recommendation letter
- Departmental need
HOW TO APPLY:
- Complete the online audition application form as soon as possible, but no less than two weeks before your selected audition date.
- Have a letter of recommendation emailed directly by the recommender to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Audition on one of the days listed above. If you cannot make one of those days, or live too far, you may submit a recording. Please know that it is best to audition in person, if able.