Karrmann Library 2014
Mission, Vision, Values
UW-Platteville’s Elton S. Karrmann Library and the Southwest Wisconsin Room support the University’s mission to serve “as an educational, cultural and economic development resource to southwestern Wisconsin.” The library and archives serve as the intellectual center of a student-focused university, where diverse ideas across disciplines are investigated, articulated and shared, and where individuals are intellectually empowered and knowledge is advanced.
The Library is
Welcoming: by providing an environment that enhances research, study, art and leisure.
Resourceful: in providing diverse collections that support our university curricula using leading access technologies.
Dynamic: in offering innovative and timely responses to changing pedagogy and its learning environment.
Collaborative: by working with students, faculty and staff to facilitate instruction and research.
Professional: by participating in professional academic organizations to grow knowledge.
The Library values
• Services that maximize student learning, faculty teaching, research and staff support.
• Diverse students, faculty, staff and ideas.
• Liberal education as a basis for lifelong learning, growth and professional development.
• The pursuit of knowledge.
• Innovative thinking and flexibility.
The Library will
• Provide basic, evolving academic library resources, services, and facilities that support the breadth of teaching and learning needs of the university community.
• Provide library resources and services that encourage independent lifelong learning and literary and aesthetic growth.
• Provide materials and services that contribute to the intellectual, multicultural, and economic development of the tri-state region and beyond.
• Collect, preserve, and make available regional historical and genealogical materials, including university archives.
• Participate in and promote cooperative sharing of library resources and services.
• Provide an inviting, relaxed environment that promotes learning and creative leisure to enhance the university experience.
• Consult regularly the University Library Committee to enhance its values and mission.
Approved by University Library Committee, November 2014