When you think Archives… think History. Where information is stored and maintained to preserve the historical records of the University of Wisconsin-Platteville. Refer to the General Records Schedules for the University of Wisconsin System, to learn your department’s retention guidelines.
PROCEDURES FOR PREPARING AND TRANSFERRING RECORDS TO THE ARCHIVES
CONTACT THE ARCHIVE ASSISTANT(X1719) WITH THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION BEFORE TRANSFERRING RECORDS.
- Types of records for transfer (i.e. subject files, committee records, personnel files, etc.) including the related University of Wisconsin System General Records Schedule number.
- Quantity and type (boxes, folders, etc.)
COMPLETE THE ARCHIVE RECORDS TRANSFER AND INVENTORY FORM.
- Form Instructions.
- Form Copies: Email electronic copy to email@example.com. Print paper copy to include with transfer.
PREPARING RECORDS FOR TRANSFER TO THE ARCHIVES.
- Discard blank forms. Remove duplicate copies of documents; one copy is sufficient. Exception: Save two programs, i.e. Commencement, plays, etc.
- Retain final version of documents; discarding drafts unless it is the final version available. .
- Discard convenience copies of publications, reports, memos, etc., for which your office was not the originator or the office of record.
- Discard materials that have no informational value, such as, envelopes, route slips, phone messages, and illegible notes.
- Remove rubber bands and metal paper clips; use only plastic clips where needed.
- Keep records in their original file folders; clearly labeling with title and dates. Example: Space Planning, 2010-2012. If more than one folder, label as Folder 1, Folder 2, etc.
- Transfer records from ring binders and hanging folders to file folders; maintaining the original order of the records. Label each folder with title and dates of the materials as stated above.
BOX RECORDS SCHEDULED FOR TRANSFER TO THE ARCHIVES.
- Use standard storage boxes (10” x 12” x 15), when appropriate, to fit archive’s shelving units.
- Maintain the filing arrangement of the records (ie. alphabetic, numeric, chronologic, subject).
- Do not over-pack or under-pack the boxes.
- Place label on outside of box to indicate office of origin, contents, and box number.
- Include paper copy of Transfer Form with records.
CONTACT THE ARCHIVES (X1719) TO INFORM OF THE TRANSFER.