Phishing: What can I do to minimize my risk?
There are a number of things you can do to minimize your risk of being scammed in a phishing attempt.
Every UW-Platteville employee is required to complete Securing the Human (STH) information security awareness training. If you have not already done so, this is a good place to start. Go to /go/sth.
USE your resources
ITS has prepared two excellent resources to help increase your cyber security awareness and reduce your risk. Both are available 24/7 for your convenience.
- STUDY - /go/phish – a shortcut to the ITS Knowledge Base and all of the real-life phishing examples we’ve mocked up from campus incidents
- WATCH - ITS Phishing Awareness Video 2017 - at lower right and on the email landing page - tips and tricks for reducing risk and identifying scams
practice, practice, practice
Try a risk calculator to help assess your online habits or test your skills with an online quiz.
- Online Identity Risk Calculator - http://www.emc.com/fraudgame
- OpenDNS Phishing Quiz - https://www.opendns.com/phishing-quiz/
- FTC Phishing Scams: Avoid the Bait - https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/media/game-0011-phishing-scams
- PBS Cybersecurity Lab - http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/labs/lab/cyber/
- SonicWall: How is your phishing IQ - https://www.sonicwall.com/en-us/phishing-iq-test
For our part, ITS will continue to provide regular simulations in a safe environment to hone your phishing awareness skills.
Latest from Discover IT
Subscribe to Discover IT using our RSS feed.