ITS: What we did over summer vacation
Summer is a busy time for ITS. From updates and upgrades to implementations and renovations and more, we have facilitated something new for just about everybody returning to UW-Platteville this fall. Check out these highlights:
- Transition to Office 2013 continues this fall; Microsoft Quick Guides here!
- Added wireless access points in four res halls, Ottensman Hall, and the Stadium
- Upgraded back-up appliances for greater capacity; partnered with UW-Oshkosh as our remote back-up in the event of regional disaster
- Bolstered virtual desktops toward goal of becoming laptop-friendly campus
- PASS/PeopleSoft 8.54 – Preparing for future integrations
- Began storage migration to new servers; to be completed Winterim 2016
- Upgraded Business Intelligence servers
- Classroom renovations: Otts 070, 103, 122, 127/127a; Doudna 114, 115 (see photo images below)
- Dobson Hall renovation
- Unified Communications – 1254 phones deployed; more than just new desk phones--mobility options, too!
- Print release stations in Bears Den and Karrmann Library; Student Printing FAQ
- Storage on the Go – user-friendly access to most storage, including your J-drive, via the internet
- “Smart cards” – safer access, easy to use
- Printer Reduction Project moved to academic areas, continues into Fall 2015
- New software purchased
Business Intelligence continues creating analytic reports for strategic decision-making
- Dashboards for Financial Services and Admissions Office
- HRS and SFS reporting (incorporating UW System data)
- Student success reporting (retention, non-traditional students, veterans)
- Unified Communications/phones – 143 employees attended 26 sessions (13 demos & 13 hands-workshops)
- Technology Mashup – 2 days, 34 workshops, 34 facilitators representing nine departments across campus plus faculty; 129 attendees with 377 registrations (see photo gallery below)
- Videos produced
- Equipment checkout moved to Help Desk – one-stop shop for laptops and media equipment!
For full list of ITS completed, in-progress, and upcoming projects, go to the Project Dashboard.