The numbers are in, and residents of Dobson Hall have won the pizza party sponsored by Media Technology Services for their response to last fall’s Cable TV Survey. Dobson residents submitted the most surveys of all those who designated a hall. Congratulations! Details of the pizza party will be communicated with residents directly in the coming weeks.
In all 1,009 surveys were submitted by residence hall students, who answered questions about viewing habits, preferences, and devices. That's 30% participation. Thank you! Feedback included:
- 49.7% think the current system is Good or Excellent
- 18.5% have no need for cable
- 52% say it is Very Important to Extremely Important to have cable in their rooms
- 84% watch less than 10 hours of cable per week
- 76% regularly watch internet TV (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime)
- 24% do not watch internet TV
- 81% do not want mobile viewing of TV, e.g. through an app on a phone or tablet
- The Disney Channel was the most requested channel to add.
Information gathered in this survey will be used to develop a criteria matrix to determine programming and an appropriate distribution method. Next steps include developing a budget, researching pricing, and developing an implementation plan. Changes will be implemented starting in 2017.
Questions regarding the survey, its results, or the pizza party may be directed to Russell Hill (firstname.lastname@example.org), Production Manager/Senior Media Specialist for MTS and member of the Cable TV team that includes Res Life.
UW-Platteville Cable TV facts:
- Cable TV is funded by areas that receive it: Housing, Athletics, Dining Services, the Bookstore, the Center for Non-Traditional and Veteran Students, Pioneer Haus, the Fieldhouse, and the Markee Pioneer Student Center.
- Costs $137,847.34 for annual programming and the rights to play channels; this equals $7 per drop with at least one drop in every res hall room plus lounges.
- Costs $12,000 per year for mandatory FCC testing.
- Additional costs include maintenance fees and MTS staff hours.
Latest from Discover IT
Subscribe to Discover IT using our RSS feed.