Platteville Bridge
Get your Travel Signature for Summer Break during ISSS Walk-In hours before Friday, May 5. PLEASE DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE TO GET YOUR TRAVEL SIGNATURE.

Travel Signatures

If you are traveling outside the U.S., you must have a valid travel signature on your I-20 or DS-2019 from the ISSS Office. I-20 travel signatures for F-1 students are valid for 12 months. DS-2019 travel signatures for J-1 students are valid for 6 months.

To get a travel signature outside of ISSS walk-in hours, you will need to schedule an appointment with ISSS in advance by calling the International Programs Office Front Desk at 608-342-1726.

How to Request a Travel Signature

Bring the following documents to ISSS walk-in hours:

• Travel Signature Form (completed)
• I-20
• Passport/Visa

Documents to Carry (Inside U.S.)

U.S. law states that the I-94 record should be carried by non-immigrants at all times, as this is recognized as a “registration document.” You may retrieve a printable copy of your I-94 here. ISSS also advises you and/or your dependents to carry your passport and I-20 or DS-2019 with you when traveling in the U.S. in case you need to present them to law enforcement officials.

Note: It is not easy to replace immigration documents if lost or stolen; the utmost care should be exercised when traveling with these legal documents.

Documents to Carry (OUTSIDE U.S.)

When traveling outside the United States, we advise you to bring the following documents with you:


  • Valid Passport
  • Valid F-1 or J-1 Entry Visa stamp (upon return to the U.S.)
  • Valid I-20 or DS-2019
  • I-94 printout*
  • Valid Travel Signature on page 1 of your DS-2019 or page 2 of your I-20


  • DSO/RO contact information and phone number of Campus Police (608-342-1584)
    SEVIS fee payment receipt
  • Evidence of Funding (i.e. bank statement, letter from sponsor)
  • Evidence of full-time enrollment at the University (unofficial transcript and/or Reduced Course Load forms)
    • Unofficial transcripts can be found on your PASS account under Academic Records
  • OPT STUDENTS ONLY: EAD and offer letter of employment
  • SCHOLARS ONLY: Letter from department host

*I-94 Record

Whenever you re-enter the U.S. from abroad, you will get a new I-94 number. It is important to print out your I-94 record every time you re-enter the U.S. If you cannot find your I-94 or if you notice an error on your I-94, please contact as soon as possible so that the ISSS Office can assist you in working with the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) to access or correct your I-94 record. For information on how to access your electronic I-94 record, please click on the "I-94 Printout Instructions" on the right-hand side of this webpage.


Need a Travel Signature?

The following staff members are DSOs (Designated School Officials) and AROs (Alternate Responsible Officers) at UW-Platteville. DSOs and AROs are authorized to give F-1 and J-1 students/scholars travel signatures and make updates and grant other requests/authorizations in SEVIS.

  • Elizabeth (Liz) Kruse
  • Donna Anderson           
  • Mela Lewandowski            
  • Nina Elskamp                
  • Yunmei (Mei) Reeder   
  • Rebecca (Becky) Trefz                   

What is a DSO and PDSO?

At schools authorized to receive international students, one or more Designated School Officials (DSOs) are chosen by the school as official representatives to the U.S. government and authorized by the U.S. government to issue F-1 class non-immigrant student visa-related documents. Each government-approved school must choose one Principal Designated School Official (PDSO) who will be responsible for all the DSOs at the school, who will maintain the official government records for international students, and who is authorized to make changes in the DSO team.

What is an ARO and RO?

Alternate Responsible Officers (AROs) and the Responsible Officer (RO) are authorized by the U.S. government to issue J-1 visa-related documents to J-1 exchange visitors, provide pre-arrival and orientation information to J-1 participants, oversee the general activities of the participants, communicate with the U.S. Department of State, and maintain the SEVIS records of J-1 program participants. Each government approved school must choose on RO who will be responsible for all of the AROs and administer the program according to the regulations and to represent the sponsor to the U.S. government.